MBP 17" bag?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sacred, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Sacred macrumors member

Jun 29, 2006
    Ill be looking at taking my MBP 17" to uni with me in just over 4 weeks when I move.
    Anyone got some advice on what is a good bag to keep it all in and at a reasonable price.
    (no links to ASDA carrier bags please :p )
  2. desenso macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2005
    I can't speak for the larger version, but I just bought the medium-sized Timbuk2 Commute (http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/catalog.htm?categoryId=7)

It's fantastic! Nice, padded laptop case. Solid material. Comfortable fit (although a pad for the shoulder strap is an additional $10.. ridiculous).

I believe they have a larger version for the 17" powerbook - not sure how the PowerBook and MacBook Pro differ on size, but if they're the same, and if the larger version is comparable to what I bought, I highly recommend it.
  3. coastertux macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2006
  4. Sacred thread starter macrumors member

Jun 29, 2006
    :eek: god thats one expensive bag, hell im from the UK so it would probably be even more expensive (as everything always is!!!)

Was looking at this:

But look at the price! :mad:
  5. desenso macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2005
    If you buy a bag that is specifically designed for Macs then you're going to be spending a fair chunk of money. You can get it for less at an office / bag store but it won't be custom built... plus the quality won't be as good.

It is expensive though
  6. rlove06 macrumors member

Aug 13, 2006
    Washington, DC

From my point of view if you bought a $3000 laptop, it's worth (if you can afford it) to buy a $200 case to protect it. An example, about a year ago, my friend and I both had 17" PB's. I bought the Brenthaven bag and he bought a bag from office depot for $50. We were traveling together and on the trip, both of our bags took similiar dives :eek:. Mine was protected and didn't get hurt. His case got dented on the corner where the superdrive was and the gray plastic liner was then bent and in a U shape blocking his superdrive's slot. That isn't a perfect example, but it's all I got. Good luck.
  7. Josias macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2006
    Here are all the 17" MBP bags you can buy through Apple. I think they have selected the best, so I'd recommend on buying one of these.

Those JACK SPADE canvas bags look really cool. They're $190 though, bit it's worth it for a $3k Mac.;)
  8. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    Been pondering this for my impending acquisition and I think i have decided to get a good sleeve for mine and just use my backpack. I am looking at the Booq Vyper XL2 myself. This is mostly due to the fact that I haven't found one backpack for laptops that I like yet.
  9. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2003

Awesome bag!! I have an older model and it's extremely comfortable.

10. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2006
    The Kitchen
    I got my laptop sleeve from Chrome today. 12". Seems very durable... they make a 17" version. You can order direct at Chromebags.com
  11. poppe macrumors 68020

Apr 29, 2006
    Woodland Hills
    On your Brenthaven Bag, what type was it? Was it the back pack? If so how is the size? I need a bag for carrying my MBP and also my books for class... WHat are your thoughts?

Other wise I'll just go with an Axio, but I dont know much about them either...
  12. kidzdoc macrumors newbie

Aug 13, 2006
    After some reading, I decided to go with a Tom Bihn Empire Builder bag for my 15" MBP. It's a little pricey, but like someone said earlier, I spent all this $ on the MBP, might as well get something nice to protect it.
  13. shecky Guest

May 24, 2003
    Obviously you're not a golfer.
    i have a waterfield large cargo bag that now holds my 15" TiBook. soon it will hold my 17" MBP; just need to get a new sleevecase for it.
  14. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

May 2, 2005
    Wheaton/Normal, IL
    The Timbuk2 Commute XL would be the only bag I would ever even consider for a 17" laptop. The price is completely worth it. You can find Timbuk2 gift cards and buy a $100 gift card for less than that on eBay. It's like getting money taken off the price.