MBP 17" has "right click" option!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MovieCutter, May 8, 2006.

1. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

This is big enough that it could get it's own thread...There's a "right click" option on the 17" MBP. In the System Preferences, there is an option where if you put two fingers on the trackpad and you click the button, it acts as a right click...VERY COOL.

2. Dyuta macrumors member

Was this not a feature on the 15"? It's the first I've heard of it, so I'm personally pretty excited at the news. No sullying the 17" sleekness with my ugly Intellimouse.

3. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

VERY cool!!

Post some Pics of it bro!! :cool: (the MBP not the right click option ha)

Rich.

4. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

That is very cool. I wish they would issue this in the software updates. This cant be a hardware issue so it must be something that is activated when it recognises a MBP, in the same way as FrontRow.

5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Excellent! I'm assuming this is a software/firmware solution, so should be easily incorporated into the 15" MBPs.

6. Subiklim macrumors 6502

I had this on my 12" powerbook. Granted, it was using a third-party piece of software, but nevertheless. Apple is a bit behind the game here.

7. MovieCutter thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Sure, but there's nothing like a homegrown solution.

8. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

What software was that?

9. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I want this on my 15.4 inch as well! Did you just get the option just through System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse?
    It doesn't look like this is a software issue though, because don't both computers have the same OS 10.4.6? I also downloaded the latest firmware update and don't see an option to do this.

10. vgoklani macrumors regular

vgoklani

is this easier than "CONTROL" + CLICK ?

I don't see what the big deal is....

11. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

iScroll. I love it. Use in on my 12" PB as it didn't come with apple's scrolling track pad. Use the right click option all the time.

12. MovieCutter thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Control click requires two hands and if you do it with one hand, you have to contort it in weird ways. This is great for those of us video editors using a shuttle control and keyboard/trackpad...

13. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Huh. I normally lay my other hand on the keyboard for just that reason. Control click is a no thinker for me. That and cmd-shift-a, etc. Heck, most of the navigating I do dosn't really require the trackpad.

Oh well, most say they never saw someone use the keybord as much as I. Shortcuts are awesome when your an editor.

14. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

No, we're just nerds and we get excited about these things. Lighten up. :)

Daniel.

15. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

If you like the keyboard, more power to you, for tje rest of us...

MovieCutter, it isn't limited to 'both fingers on pad and click". It works if you tap the trackpad with both fingers as well. Very Very cool. I wish someone could tell me how it works. I mean, one ckick, scroll, now 2 click, this is one smart trackpad ... How in the world does it know if I'm tapping with one finger or two ... (???)

eV

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It is aware of where it's being pressed, so it "sees" a press in two separate locations and hence knows you're using two fingers (or, I suppose, toes)...