MBP 17" power cord extension ??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 17luv, May 15, 2006.

1. 17luv macrumors member

May 15, 2006
    Hello! New switcher here who just got her new lovely 17" MBP (so far so good!). One question I have had though is about the power brick? With the MBP there is an extender with a longer cord that comes with it. When I take off the initial "prongs?" (the part that actually goes in the outlet) and try to place the extender part in it's like the extender doesn't fit. The initial smaller cord with the mag safe goes on and off rather easily but the extender I have tried forcing it but was afraid if I put more force on it I might brake it. I also noticed that the brick at two corners has little 'wings' that can be pulled up, what are those for? Just wondering before I make a trip to the apple store, is there a button I missed or trick I don't know to getting the extender to slide on without so much force??? Thanks in advance!!!
  2. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2006
    The two little "wings" I believe are to wind the cord around when the brick is not in use (at least that's what I've always used them for!)

The extension cord that plugs onto the brick should just push onto the brick. Just make sure that you slide it on so that it grips that metal circle bit and that you don't push it on at an angle. Other than that just push it quite hard until it goes in.

No switches, nothing fancy. Just push & pull :)
  3. 17luv thread starter macrumors member

May 15, 2006
    Thanks for the reply. Hahah now I feel really silly for pressing and pulling on the "wings" trying to figure out the secret to getting the other longer cord to connect. :D Guess I will be visiting an Apple store and see if they can exchange the cord (and tighten my screen just a bit).