MBP 17" Wristwrest area's finish is coming off?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hidea, Jul 17, 2006.

1. hidea macrumors regular

May 10, 2006
    Hey there,

I have a strange problem with the MBP I have. I have black tiny dots all over my MBP coming off of the wrist area. they vary in sizes, but I can assure you that these black spots are a result of the alunimum finish that comes off.

I tried using iKlear, but it won't resolve the problem. So I am very sure it's the finish coming off.

Anyone else has this problem?

This is embarrasing, but I do have sweaty palms, I was born that way... maybe that's a chemical reaction?

Can I ask Apple for a replacement? Just like the discolouration on the Macbooks?
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Yep...it's pitting. This problem with the aluminum goes way back into the PowerBook age. Apple replaced my ~14 month old PowerBook top case due to some minor pitting. (The repair was covered under AppleCare while it was in for another issue...didn't even have to ask about it.) Four months later, I have one tiny pit appearing on the new top case.
  3. hidea thread starter macrumors regular

May 10, 2006
    thanks, you make me feel better that they'll replace it. I'll let it wait to get really bad till I replace it.

4. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2006
    Actually, Apple are known not to repair "cosmetic" issues. The poster above mentioned that they replaced the top case when he sent the laptop in for a different problem. They have been known to replace these elements in these cases.

I would try this with AppleCare as soon as possible as pitting should not occur within only a few months of a laptop (sorry ... notebook) being available on the market. Given the short timeframe you may be able to argue faulty workmanship.
  5. hidea thread starter macrumors regular

May 10, 2006
    :eek: I better act fast. Dah, bad timing tho, I'm traveling to Asia n the next couple of days and I can't travel to the apple store.
  6. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    Windex once a week works very well if you sweat on your aluminum laptop.

If you're traveling bring some of those little alcohol wet-wipes. They work very well too.

Anything to get the oils and sweat compounds off of the wrist rest area. They work slowly over time to pit the aluminum. (faster with some people than others.)
  7. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    Regardless, the aluminium on a 17" MBP should not be pitting this early in its life. :rolleyes:

I'd say you have a good case to get it changed but act now, don't wait IMHO.
  8. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2006
    Exactly what I thought I pointed out in the next paragraph :) . They shouldn't really pit at all, but hey!