MBP 2.16 vs 2.33 GHZ 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by etart, Dec 6, 2006.

1. etart macrumors newbie

Looking to get a mbp but am wondering if the price diff is worth it considering what I need.
    Also considering the 128 MB vs 256 MB SDRAM

I'll be doing some gameing and video and photo editing, to start probibly just with
    i movie HD but considering final cut express at some point.
    What do you think,
    thanks in advance
    etart

2. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

I'm facing the same dilemma too... but my use is mainly for audiowork in Logic Pro, while yours is video/gaming (although I do intend to do some gaming as well). Problem is the 2.33 does perform quite a bit better (15-20%) in plugins than the 2.16 does, although both are on par with some dual 2.5ghz g5's.

Personally if I were to purchase the 2.33 15", I'd probably jsut take the plunge and go with the 17". It's not that much more, and the screen is huge!

3. adandl macrumors newbie

MBP my decision

I had the same issue but than more memory on the graphics adapter and 2GB Ram instead of 1GB made it worth for me buying the top one.

I did not buy the 17" model though, because I didn't want to loose mobility - If I need a bigger screen I can always buy a TFT...

The laptop is just perfect and considering that I want to upgrade to Lepard early next year I decided for the 2GB 2.33MHz model...

Hope this helps

4. inf macrumors 6502

inf

I chose the 2.16GHz model. Just couldn't see that the price difference is worth it. I'm not going to game much, so I think i don't need the extra VRAM or the extra (minimal) processor speed.

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

for me, the processor speed is meaningless - both will do whatever you need them to do very quickly. the big difference is the standard RAM and VRAM, which is why i think the 2.33 is a better buy.

6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

The price difference just wasn't worth it to me, so I opted for the 2.16 version. I figured, the extra RAM I could do myself for about $100. The processor upgrade would be a negligible speed difference.. and I don't do any gaming that would require the extra vram. I mostly just work in the Adobe suite and quark, and this thing flies!

7. etart thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, I do intend on getting 2 gigs of ram no matter what, and i don't think the 17" is in my future, so because i will be playing some games the 256 of VRAM is important
    thanks again for all the fast replys
    etart