MBP/ACD Question!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yankeefan24, Apr 18, 2006.

1. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

OK, here's my situation:

Right now, I am thinking of getting a MBP 2.16 GHz with an ACD in the near future.

1) My question is should i get a maxed out MBP 2.16, 100 GB 7200 RPM Drive, Upgrade RAM from crucial, 20" ACD

or

2) 2.16 GHz MBP, all stock, 23" ACD

I don't really need the extra RPM, and 1 GB RAM is probably fine for me, I will probably upgrade option 2 with leopard, but I don't know if I need the 23 inch display. I will be doing word, web browsing, research, gaming in OS X/XP, and other stuff. I will not be using HD Video that much, and some video/photo editing.

I suffer from must-get-highest-end syndrome, btw.

I am leaning towards option 2, because I am also getting an external hdd, and 7200 probably won't make a huge difference to me.

Thanks!

-yankeefan

NOTE: I will settle for nothing less than the 2.16 GHz. I know, i probably only need the 1.83, but i hate slowness. part of my NY instincts. :p

All help/advice is appreciated. Advice from owners is also appreciated.

2. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Do option 2 but atlease do the hard drive to 7200rpm. Also if money is tight, try getting a *cough* dell monitor. I won't do such thing but if I didn't say anything about the dell monitor, someone else will.

3. yankeefan24 thread starter macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

i was considering that, but i think aesthetics is worth the money (i know, don't comment). Also, with the edu discount, the price difference is only $100. Apple design is worth it, IMO.

I am not sure if I need the 23" screen is the real dilemma. I won't do anything more than games, web, ichat, and word documents.

What would the performance be while playing games with 1GB RAM vs. 2 GB? Is it worth it?

I'm really stuck here. Any other opinions?

4. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

I'm in the exact same position, and I wouldn't settle for less than the 2.16Ghz. Get option 2, you can always upgrade the RAM easily, but not add another 3 inches of screen space.

I'm going to be getting option 2 later this year :)

5. 3mph macrumors newbie

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I think that I would go with option #1. A 20" ACD would be plenty of screen area in my opinion for your stated uses/needs.

7. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

if you definitely want an ACD (i.e. not a dell), then get the 23", as its high Def whereas the 20" ACD isn't. And trust me, High Def is amazing!