Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eenu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
I notice from a lot of the desktop photos in the pics section of this forum alot of you just seem to have a macbook on a stand fully wired to the eyeballs and connected to a large screen.

It doesn't appear like you guys use this machine as a portable as they all seem to be fairly well established on your desks (obviously is could still double to be portable).

Just wondering if thats what most of you do, use a notebook as your desktop machine? If so why?

I have the G4 mini and am in the process of looking for a MBP. I was thinking of getting a Mac Pro to replace the mini and my dual core PC but it will be expensive to do that and get a MBP.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
eenu said:
I notice from a lot of the desktop photos in the pics section of this forum alot of you just seem to have a macbook on a stand fully wired to the eyeballs and connected to a large screen.

It doesn't appear like you guys use this machine as a portable as they all seem to be fairly well established on your desks (obviously is could still double to be portable).

Just wondering if thats what most of you do, use a notebook as your desktop machine? If so why?

I have the G4 mini and am in the process of looking for a MBP. I was thinking of getting a Mac Pro to replace the mini and my dual core PC but it will be expensive to do that and get a MBP.

if you need portability get a laptop, if not dont. However it is nice working on a large screen while at home and with an external keyboard. And it is just as nice taking it with you on trips if you need to

JurgenWigg

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Baltimore
there's a class of laptops called Desktop Replacements, the ones that are too big or heavy to really be terribly portable. I'd put the 17" MBP in that category, personally. What people are doing (most of them) arent buying MBPs and MacPros unless they've got some serious cash, but buying screens for extra real-estate, so you get more screen space at home but the portability of a laptop. some people get mice and keyboards as well because it's just more comfortable (in my opinion) that way.

Keep the mini, keep your PC, get the laptop would be my suggestion. Or sell the mini, buy BT mouse and keyboard and the mini-dvi to vga or whatever adapter and hook up your MBP to the monitor your mini was on and you have a nice little work station going on there.

eenu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
just seems weird to me that people use their laptops for their main machine whether its at the desk at home or out and about. Always thought of a laptop as just a machine you use when you go away from your desk thats all.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
eenu said:
just seems weird to me that people use their laptops for their main machine whether its at the desk at home or out and about. Always thought of a laptop as just a machine you use when you go away from your desk thats all.

It's because nowadays laptops aren't so far behind their desktop counterparts. I've used laptops as desktops for 4 years now. I don't miss having a desktop at all.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
extraextra said:
It's because nowadays laptops aren't so far behind their desktop counterparts. I've used laptops as desktops for 4 years now. I don't miss having a desktop at all.

very true, i mean my macbook is shall we say better than my emac was which is a desktop

eenu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
I for some reason see a laptop as a more delicate thing that i don't want to leave on for hours and hours like i do my desktop which is basically always on.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
I like being able to dock my laptop so I can use a bigger screen and more comfotable keyboard when I'm not running around. A powerful laptop like the MacBook Pro makes a desktop a redundant piece of equipment.

JurgenWigg

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Baltimore
eenu said:
I for some reason see a laptop as a more delicate thing that i don't want to leave on for hours and hours like i do my desktop which is basically always on.

Which is true - there's not as much space inside and airflow and all that, so it does get a bit hotter and there's not exactly room to put a lot of fans in it, but the processing power, the logicboards, the graphics, the HDs, it's really on par with desktops. My laptop actually has twice the HD size as my desktop :eek:

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
eenu said:

I've been using my laptop as a desktop for 5 years now and have never had a problem. I rarely unhook it to take it anywhere. I usually leave it on unless I'm going to be away from it for more then 24 hours. I just put it to sleep.

It's nice to have the option to take your "desktop" with you when you need.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Would a 13" 15" MBP be good enough as a desktop? Forget how much the smallest is. I know I've tried to use my Toshiba laptop as a desktop for awhile and the battery is toast. How are the batteries on the MBs and MBPS?

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
When I go to Uni next year I'm getting a MacBook Pro, 15".. and then a wireless keyboard and MM, as well as 23" HD Display.

That way, I have the portability of a laptop, and the power, comfort and real-estate of a desktop - and switch between the 2 by simply d/c'ing one DVI connection.

:)

eenu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
yeah the more i look at the pictures here the more i am motivated to by a MBP and plonk it on a nice stand sat on top of my mac mini stack, mount my 20" widescreen to the wall in front of my desk and make it anice clean setup.

Keep my speakers attached to the mini and leave that on 24/7 connected to the Dsub input on the dell mon. The MBP can go on the DVI. Then when i don't need the power i can just browse the net and listen to music on the mini and when i am working hard i can control music on the mini via vnc.

Does anyone know of a KVM that has USB keyboard and mouse in and USB out to the two machines?

eenu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
viccles said:
I mean instead of using the laptop screen you can use a normal monitor right?

You can use a normal monitor or you can use both at the same time so you have dual monitor

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
if you dont need a laptop... dont bother getting one.

say you went with a 15" MBP. thats £200 cheaper ($379 approx) cheaper than a Mac Pro. BUT, you take in account that you could sell your Mac Mini and PC, thats price difference isnt worth thinking about.

AND you get a very very very powerful computer to last you a good 5 years

eenu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
well i wont use it alot as a portable but there will be times when i would like access to a laptop....hmmmmm.......such a hard decision :p

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Personally I like having a desktop and a laptop. I suppose its up to you really...I think you would have to go for a MBP if you wanted to use it only as a desktop but as someone mentioned you could get a mini or a Imac and get a Macbook. I think that would be the best option

Oops just saw your post above.

Reep

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
SoCal
KingYaba said:
Get a low end macbook + iMac = same price of a highend macbook pro.

I've been considering this option, but it's not as close as you make it sound. Remember that you have to pay for two apple care packages and two sets of upgraded RAM. (I'm going from memory on these figures).

17" MBP + $200 RAM + $350 (A/C) is about $3300

20" iMac + $200 RAM + 250 (A/C) is $2200
MB(mid level) + $200 RAM + $250 (A/C) is $1800
Total is $4000

The delta is $700. Not too bad, but not exactly change either. I think I'd rather have the 15" MBP with an external drive and a 20"-23" monitor. Then you don't have to transfer files back and forth.

eenu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.