MBP and free Ipod now... or wait for Memron

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sevenblue, Sep 13, 2006.

1. sevenblue macrumors newbie

Ok... the education deal runs out in a few days. Is it worth it to just go ahead and buy a MacBook now and get the free ipod, or should I wait till Memron. I think if the MBP was out now with Memron I would definitely spend the extra to get the Pro. Now, I'm thinking about just getting the Macbook with the Ipod and upgrading in a year or so. I guess the biggest issue is time. I am currently in school abroad but will be back home until October 19. What are the chances that Memron will even be released (as in I need to have the computer in my hand) by then? Thanks...

2. danielbriggs macrumors 6502

zzz...zzz... Been discussed to death.

If you need one now, get it now
    If you can wait (and possibly afford paying for an ipod), then wait!

Simple!

*END OF* :D

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The free iPod deal does not include *any* of the new iPods. Even in the UK where the deal continues until mid October does it not apply to the new iPods which is very disappointing. What's even more disappointing is that the new iPods do not have Educational discounts.

4. djkny macrumors 6502

5. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Its MEROM!!!! And there are over 150 topics on this.

6. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

exactly im getting so flipping pissed off about this shiznit.....!!!!!!!!!

7. RobinHood macrumors newbie

actually, i believe the new i-pod offer in the u.k. does apply, I ordered a 30GB one with my yonah macbook...finally!!!!!! :-D although I have another four weeks to wait :-(

8. 21stcenturykid macrumors 6502

nope it quite definately doesnt apply ive checked too! i wanted one but the new 30GB is cheaper anyway and if u can wait just wait i cant so im orderign my MBP as soon as my dads gets in :D

9. RobinHood macrumors newbie

errmmmm...i ordered yesterday & there definately wasn't anything to say otherwise....

10. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Look at the rebate form. You can only submit certain part numbers. The new iPod part number is not in the valid part number list so they will refuse your rebate if you submit.

11. bluetorch18 macrumors regular

12. dunc85 macrumors regular

You might as well wait now, unless you wanna try and find a store with old iPods (you wont be able to order online).

However, the FAQ doesn't seem to exclude the new shuffle from the rebate. Although maybe it wont ship in time?

13. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Are you joking? Three people, including me, said it's Merom, and people still say memrom?

14. phairphan macrumors 6502

phairphan

In regard to the endless stream of duplicate memron/memrom/mermom/merman/etc. threads, I'm of the opinion that if you can't pronounce it (much less spell it) you probably don't need to wait for it. :D

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I do not think that Merom will be released in the regular Macbook by October 19. I DO think that Merom will be released in the Macbook Pro by October 19.

16. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

In the discussion of the cover story:

Apple To Host September 24th Special Event (Photokina)

People are thinking the MBP will updated b/c historically Apple has announced pro computers at this shindig.

Who really knows though....

Basically: Buy if you need, wait if you only want

17. generik macrumors 601

generik

I am willing to bet my cojones that the C2D based MBPs will be out before '07, alright, let's get back to our scheduled programming, namely flowering up on the mention of Apple and crucifying PC users who dare to tread into MR :rolleyes:

18. appleguru1 macrumors 6502

I'm kicking myself for not getting a free ipod when I bought my iMac about a month ago.. I was saying to myself "I'll just wait for meroms and get a new ipod with my new MBP.. There's no way they wont release them by the 16th..."

Grrrrrrr.

19. dclocke macrumors member

I concur, for the reasons I listed in this blog post.

http://dlocke.blogspot.com/2006/09/macbook-pro-updates.html
    (I posted this link in another forum as well)

20. dclocke macrumors member

What other pro computers/updates have been announced at Photokina in the past? (I'm not up on my Mac history...)

21. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

120% agree!:D

22. djkny macrumors 6502

If MBP's get updated at Photokina, what in the world is Apple gonna do with Paris? iMac and MacMini, done. iPod updates, done.

Are they gonna pay their copywriters overtime to "generate" heat at the Paris conference when there's nothing to be had? iPhone, maybe. MBP, more likely.