MBP *backpack* suggestion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thenewguy, Nov 7, 2006.

1. thenewguy macrumors regular

I tried a messenger bag, I really did. My school store had a Tucano thing, i'm sure it wasn't high quality, but the style just doesn't work for me. It really hurt my back and made it hard to ride my bike.

But I still don't feel comfertable just putting the MBP (albeit in a neoprene sleeve) in my regular backpack. I feel like the shape of the bag is causing the MBP to have pressure put against its middle.

So I'm looking for a MBP (15") backpack at around $50 or so. I can go higher, but I'd like to keep it as low as possible.

Any suggestions?

2. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

i've got a wenger backpack i really like. lots of space for books too. i think it's called the maxxum.

3. jhande macrumors 6502

crumpler base-toucher - best backpack I've ever had (has different names in different countries). Zipper is actually toward your back when you wear the backpack. Great security.

4. Jvhowube macrumors member

i currently use my north face recon II for my laptop. when i get my C2D, i suppose i'll keep using it. it hasn't been a problem for my current laptop...

5. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

i just got a Crumpler Base Toucher & it's GREAT!!

6. neophenix macrumors newbie

Im not sure of the exact model name of mine, but it is a Targus that I picked up at Circuit City for 29.99, should have plenty of room for the MBP and books for school. It comes with a neoprene pouch to put the laptop in.

7. mowenbrown macrumors newbie

I just got a Timbuk2 Datadump, and love it. Although, it fits the 17" as well, so I keep my 15" in a sleeve.

8. Zadillo macrumors 65816

This might be a little different than what you're looking for, but I'll recommend it since I've been really happy with it since I got it.

I got a Tom Bihn Smart Alec backpack:

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0103

Combined with a Tom Bihn Vertical Brain Cell:

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0390

The backpack itself is really high quality, with plenty of room for books and I really like the way that it opens up at the top and has all of your pockets instantly accessible.

The really cool thing is that the Vertical Brain Cell laptop bag itself can clip into the Smart Alec, so you can use it as a laptop bag, or take the brain cell out and use it by itself (and use the backpack by itself if you don't need to take your laptop along).

The Brain Cell especially provides absolutely amazing protection.......... hard protection on all sides, and the top of it velcros shut like a cereal box, so it is really easy to take the MBP out.

I previously had a SwissGear Maxxum backpack, which was fine, but I was never that confident in the section of it for putting your laptop in it.

I really like this combination because i feel completely confident in the protection of my MBP between the Smart Alec backpack itself and the Vertical Brain Cell.

EDIT: Correction, the flaps at the top use something called Applix, not velcro:

9. Zadillo macrumors 65816

I might have to look into that at some point, although the Smart Alec seems to be large enough for me for the time being.

10. Dubba macrumors regular

Have you thought of STM backpacks? Have a look at www.stmbags.com.au .

I have the Sports 2 which I have been using for a 12" PowerBook & 12" iBook, but a 15" MacBook Pro would fit just fine.

11. JAT macrumors 603

Just want to point out that the Brain Cell does NOT have hard protection (plastic) on all sides. Just on the 2 large sides, with stiff padding on the other 4.

12. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I use a standard eastpak backpack with my macbook inside a foofbag works pretty well, but if you feel like more protection I can defiantly recommend the crumpler range of backpacks they are great!

ShadOW

13. Zadillo macrumors 65816

True, although with the way the laptop is suspended inside the Brain Cell, I'm not really sure how much difference it makes that there isn't hard plastic on the other sides, I would think the hard plastic in the main front and back are where it is really needed. I can't honestly imagine a scenario where the MBP could be significantly damaged from the sides in this case.

14. absurdio macrumors 6502

I've got a spire backpack. Unfortunately, this one's discontinued, and I think their current offerings are pretty ugly. But it's another possibility.

15. thenewguy thread starter macrumors regular

price price price

hey guys. these are all great suggestions, but something like the Crumplers are way out of my price range. I can't spend $140 on the comp. I have a great backpack, but I'm not comfertable with the pressure my back puts on the middle of the laptop when its inside. As of right now I only have a very thin sleeve for scratches.

Maybe a better bet would be to get a more substantial hard protective sleeve? and just keep it in my bag?

what very protective sleeves are reccomended?

16. Zadillo macrumors 65816

Going back to my original recommendation, the Tom Bihn Vertical or Horizontal Brain Cell is pretty compact but would offer excellent protection even in another regular backpack.

17. Dubba macrumors regular

Have you considered Waterfield sleeves? www.sfbags.com

Based on other people's recommendations, I will be ordering one for my new 17" MacBook Pro.

18. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

I got my Brenthaven 15.4" Professional off of Amazon for $129 new. It holds my MBP with crazy-good protection and has plenty of room for my other stuff. Best backpack I've ever bought and I don't think I'll need another for years.

19. miniguu macrumors regular

I ordered the Wenger Maxxum on Amazon...the grey is retailing for $35 shipped. A few people have it at school, and I checked it out at Staples. It looks good, and appears to be of sturdy construction with mucho padding for the laptop. Seems to have good reviews. I'm not sure if you can place the MBP + neoprene sleeve in the slot though.

20. mooncaine macrumors regular

21. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

If you're looking for just a rigid sleeve,
    I would still consider Crumpler-
    check out their line of School Hymn cases.
    Neoprene outsides, rigid plastic in the middle and fleece insides.

I use one inside my Timbuk2 Underground.

22. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Enthusiastically seconded. I paid $180 for my Brenthaven backpack, but it's been going strong for 6 years now. I've gone through 4 years of school with it, travelled all over the world, and it looks great, doesn't scream "LAPTOP HERE" and has lots of space and pockets. Amazingly durable too! Worth every penny. The way I see it, I already spent $3000 on my laptop, what's an extra $180 to REALLY give it the protection it deserves.