MBP battery draining during sleep...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by slick316, Jul 25, 2006.

1. slick316 macrumors 6502

Sep 28, 2005
    at a rapid pace! I don't get it, I swear that my old PB would lose a couple percent if left sleeping for 6 hours. I left my MBP to sleep for 4 hours today, lost 22% of the battery life, what gives?
  2. eddx macrumors regular

May 12, 2005
    Manchester, UK
    My first laptop and first mac so not really an expert on this front but wanted to add that my macbook pro seems not to be quite as bad as yours on this front.

6 - 10 hours of "sleep" on the macbook pro gives a 5% - 15% lose in battery charge.

This hasn't been a problem for me but I haven't done a lot of laptop usage where a power socket wasn't available if required. If I was on the road a lot this would annoy me.

I think this problem needs to be addressed by Apple and hopefully fixed (ideally through software update).

Anyone else experienced similar battery performance drops on the macbook pro?
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
  4. plarusa macrumors member

Feb 28, 2006
    Yup, same observation here. The battery drain on my MBP is about 10-15% per day, which is not quite a bad as what you reported, but much worse than the PB. I concluded that the MBP drains battery at a *much* faster rate than the older PB in sleep mode. I don't think there is much Apple can do about it, since this is probably a processor/chipset limitation. This is one of the reasons why I have returned to my old but trusted PB 12".
  5. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2005
    Kansas City,MO/Milwaukee, WI
    I agree with the OP...my MBP does the SAME thing...i had like a 25% charge at like 10am now, it is dead! and this is on a very calibrated battery that is brand new (replaced by applecare just last week as well as MLB (new vers.) and keyboard
  6. jaynano macrumors newbie

Aug 28, 2006

My battery is doing the same thing. It was fully charged this morning, I fell asleep for two hours and found my battery at 60%. This is very annoying when you try to use your MBP to get work done on the train.
  7. Bacvir macrumors newbie

Jan 26, 2008
    Consider checking your settings in the Energy Saver and Screen Saver. At times, I make some custom settings that can drain the battery up to 60% over night. But if I remember to reset for "normal" I get >10% battery drain over night.