Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shahrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Northern Virginia
Hello,

Ever since switching from my Powerbook to my MBP, I've noticed that when I'm rebooting, when the white screen comes up it sits for a good 2-3 minutes before showing the gray Apple logo at which point the system boots at normal speed.

This waiting time on the white screen does not occur when using the MBP without the ACD. My ACD is the older generation (with plastic trim) in 20" and has always worked fine, however, it seems that when running with my MPB (closed-lid) it adds some extra lag time during reboots.

Anyone else experience this? I've also seen some issues occuring when I open the lid, while connected to the ACD, it seems to lag where as with the Powerbook, it'd immediately realized that is should span the display across the ACD to the powerbook. Seems as if the MBP is stupid when it comes to handling dual displays with an ACD... Thanks!

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Shahrum said:
Is it a newer ACD or the older plastic type with the ACD converter box?
Not sure exactly, I don't own and ACD/MBP myself.

It looks like this one though;
ACFPCD20.JPG

Just had a though, have you only started it once in the configuration you described above? It could have just been initializing the display?

I can't think of anything else, less VRAM, which is unlikely because it doesn't happen when you're just using the notebook display.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
funny you mention that. I just restarted my ibook while connected to a vga monitor for the first time in a long time, and was very surprised at how long it took to start up. Maybe it was because of the display...

Shahrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Northern Virginia
iDuck said:
Are those vga? Maybe it has something to do with digital/analog.

No, it's not VGA, it uses a proprietary Apple connector called an ACD connector I believe. I had to purchase a $50 converter box to go from ACD to DVI to connect it to my MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.