MBP - buy extra RAM??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macNEWBIEswitch, Dec 14, 2006.

1. macNEWBIEswitch macrumors newbie

Looking at the MBP 15". Should I buy the $2499 model with the extra memory or buy the $1999 model and third party RAM? I read the guide at the top of the forum - very helpful. But let's get specific: What is the best route to take and if the latter, where to get the best deal on third party, etc. Thanks!!!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You can probably find the 1GB SODIMM cheaper than Apple's, but the $2499 gets you more than just extra RAM. It's the 2.33GHz CPU, and has twice the VRAM (256MB).

3. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Since the C2D update apple has been competitive on RAM prices to the point which it is better to get it form apple.

The only problem i see with this is warranty. If you buy third party and keep the original apple OEM RAM you can keep the computer and only send the RAM back. If you get the RAM form apple the whole machine will have to be sent back to apple. Could take 2 weeks.

4. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Of course the loaded 2.33 GHz MBP is a very desirable machine, but without
    knowing what your specific usage requirements are, it's a bit difficult to
    make a recommendation.

For audio/video, photography, for gaming, general portable needs, it all depends on how much computer you really need.

I do agree that Apple's RAM upgrades are now finally competitive enough
    where it's best to order 2 GB factory RAM if you can afford the upgrade.

5. macNEWBIEswitch thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, very helpful. I know I'll get more than RAM with the $500 + price jump.

My needs are mainly A/V, Photo, Business, PowerPoint Presentations,and will double as a home unit for my family (no Kool-Aid kids.) Considering the last two needs I mentioned, and that portability is no issue for me, would you recommend the 17" MBP? Is this the machine with the most bang-for-buck and worth the extra $ + jump from the $2499/1999??

6. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 1GB model come with 2x512mb modules? So if you want to upgrade, you need to buy 2x1gb modules and trash the 2x512mb's?

I'd assume you're better off paying the extra in the beginning, no? The 2x512mb won't have much of a resale value.

7. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Since the upgrade to C2D the basic MBP has 1x1GB.

OP: If you aren't worried too much about portability and can afford it I'd say why not go with the 17'.

8. macNEWBIEswitch thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know, just asking all you veterans your opinions. bangforbuck on the whole line of notebooks, is 17" the champion? I know this is subjective so no need to upbraid me.