MBP C2D 15" vs MBP CD 17"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Americanloti, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Americanloti macrumors member

Hi,

It's time for me to change my 1Ghz tiBook. I was considering the entry-level MBP that I can get at $1799 plus tax with the edu discount, but then I happen to look at the refurbished offers and found a MBP 17" Core Duo at $1999. Despite an older CPU, the 17" has a 100Gb 7200 rpm (which I prefer to a 120GB 5400, but that option is no longer available on the C2D version) and a 256MB RAM GPU. The 15" however has a DL superdrive, the core 2 duo and costs 200 bucks less, plus is new which is also somenthing to consider.
    The 17" has always been in my dreams since it was/is too expensive, but in this case I wouldn't mind spending the extra $200. What is blocking me is the fact that is refurbished in the first place and the fact the it doesn't have the latest intel chip. What do you think? Are the extra $200 worth for a bigger screen and "less" power (CPUwise)? Also what is the deal with refurbished product, are they reliable? any good or bad experience?

2. vanzskater272 macrumors regular

it depends on what you are going to use it for. But it would probably be best just to get the c2d macbook pro since it will be faster and save you 200 bucks.

3. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I would go for the 17". I guess hence you are thinking about a notebook anyway you will not do to much number crunching on it and I guess you will not see a huge performance difference.

I have no experience with refurbished models.

my 2 cents

4. Americanloti thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply

I'm not carrying my laptop around that much, so the 17" wouldn't be too big or heavy, and the screen real estate is very appealing to me. On the other hand, beside normal stuff (internet, mail, word proc) I use a lot Pro Tools and Audio related software, where the "power" of a C2D is also appealing.

5. BadgerMac macrumors regular

I just picked up a 17" CD MBP myself. It has the DL drive in it and the 256MB VRAM. The differences are in the speed of the CPU and obviously any perceived heat issues (of which I've had none thus far).

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Don't know if this will matter to you, but the 17" won't have the faster 802.11n wireless networking.

7. ipodobrien macrumors newbie

Go with the C2D!!

Choose the C2D because this processor is 64-bit and you can upgrade seamlessly to Leopard when the upgrade comes if you want to. Just my opinion. Good luck!

8. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I would go for the 15" cause IMO, the 17" is way too big for a laptop. You can save $200 or buy a cheap external monitor for your home. :)

9. Americanloti thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

At the end I opted for the C2D. The main reason was the 64bit capability when I'll upgrade to Leopard, and something I didn't consider before, which is the 802.11n. With the extra $200 I have in budget I can buy the new Airport Extreme and just cut the wires in my home network ;). Now that I think about it it's almost a no-brainer, but the 17" display would have been nice too. Anyway, I'm waiting for my new baby, and considering I'm coming from a tiBook G4 (1GHz) the difference is gonna be huge!! I'm sooo excited!

Thanks again!

10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

You won't see any advantages of 64-bit for years...

I would have gone with the 17", the screen real estate is so valuable if you're doing any kind of editing...audio or video. More tracks, more length, etc., gives you room to stretch your legs.

11. Americanloti thread starter macrumors member

Everybody was suggesting the 15" and now you the 17", arrgh now I'm wondering again :p!

Just kidding, I know the screen real estate was what started my dilemma and also the 7,200 rpm HD would have been nice for this king of things. It's also true that I do heavy stuff in the studio with a 42" plasma, a 17" ACD and a PowerMac G5 Quad. Anyway, I'm very happy with the choice. I also didn't listed before the fact that the 17" was refurbished, which probably is as good as new, but a minus for me. It would have been helpful to hear some experiences with that, but it doesn't matter anymore.

Thanks you very much for the help!

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I think I have the same computer you just ordered, and trust me - it'll be great. To me, 17" is WAY too big to be a portable.. at that point you're getting a desktop replacement instead of a laptop. I have the 15" MBP, and an external monitor at home for when I want some extra space. Perfect combo, IMO.

Enjoy!

13. aquajet macrumors 68020

That's not relevent because the CD will work just as well. :rolleyes:

14. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

I honestly don't think that you would like to get the 17 inch. I tested it out in the store and its just way too big to be carrying around. There isn't going to be a huge difference in speed if you switch from a 5400rpm to a 7200rpm hard drive especially if the 5400 is larger in disk space. I'm on who likes to buy things new and never refurbished only because I don't trust refurbished ones. I haven't had a refurbished apple before so I'm not sure if anyone has had problems with them

15. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

The 17" being too big is a subjective matter. I'm 6'3", 220lbs. It's no big deal for me, but everyone's different. As for refurbs, they're as good as new if not better due to the extra attention and inspection they get. Sometimes you even get upgrades like more RAM and larger HDDs.

16. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

When I say a laptop is "too big", I'm not talking in comparison to the person, I'm talking in comparison to things. As a student, many of the lecture-hall desks and aisleways are small as it is - if you stick a 17" lappy in there, you're asking for trouble (in the form of a laptop tumbling towards the floor!).

But everyday things, as well - airport, train, and bus seats, in meetings..and the extra weight can add up after carrying it around for a whole day...

17. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

But it's so damn pretty :D

18. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

heh :p