MBP C2D AC Adapter Whine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theyoda3, Nov 1, 2006.

1. theyoda3 macrumors member

When I plug in my AC Adapter, my Core 2 Duo MBP whines slightly in the upper left hand corner at the magsafe connection. When I turn the iSight on the noise goes away. This only happens on AC power and not battery power. Does anyone else have this problem. Is there a solution to the previous model that doesnt mess with system files or require the iSight to be on?

PS I have a 2.33 Core 2 Duo stock model.

Thanks,
    -Chris

2. ventro macrumors 6502a

Uh oh.

I thought the whine was gone in the C2D MBPs?

3. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I've got the same thing on a later-revision Core Duo. I think that it is pretty normal. Sucks to hear it wasn't fixed in the later revisions though.

4. iBorg20181 macrumors 6502

iBorg20181

For the couple of hours since my 2.33GHz arrived, it's been utterly silent - no sounds from the AC adaptor, no whines, no "mooing," nothing!

:D

iBorg

5. dgoss macrumors regular

Same here. Been on a 2.16 15" for a couple of half-days. Silent.

6. theyoda3 thread starter macrumors member

I don't know what the deal is lol. It's really faint so it's not a big deal. I hear it mostly in my dorm room. Right now I'm in the library and I have to put my ear to the magsafe connection to hear it. In my dorm room I can hear it a little bit in a regular typing position. Maybe it's just super quiet and no one hears it, but I hear it because my laptop is a few inches from a cement wall so the sound waves might be reflecting off the wall causing it to seem louder than it is.

7. theyoda3 thread starter macrumors member

Headphones

Also, does anyone hear a click type sound when audio starts or stops and using headphones only?

8. mopppish macrumors 6502

Yoda man,
    I returned my Macbook because I didn't like the whine and upgraded to the C2D MBP. You can bet that the first thing I checked when I got home was whine when plugged in, and although I can say that it's KINDA there, it's much improved and well within what I would accept. The Macbook's weren't even that bad compared to the first MBP's, but it was driving me nuts.
    I think this is just something we need to accept with the quality (speed, battery length) that we're getting in a small package.
    I'm more than OK with it. This is a great computer. :)

9. theyoda3 thread starter macrumors member

I completely agree with you. This little whine thing is alright, I just wanted to know if anyone else noticed. The kernel panic I just had, though, isn't ok lol. Hopefully things will get better with the kernel panic.

10. Nuks macrumors 6502a

That's the whine I mentioned in a new topic actually. I just turned on the isight and the whine disappears. I just noticed it today. So it's an unsolvable problem??

11. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

well I dont have C2D MPB, but on my MPB ( the first one, Core Duo) When I connect my wireless mouse (via BT), the whine goes away, maybe something to try. The isight trick works sometimes as well.

12. theyoda3 thread starter macrumors member

The iSight trick doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe it will for other people if they have the same issue.