MBP C2D Loud Fan Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kerisimasi, Jan 14, 2007.

1. kerisimasi macrumors member

Jul 1, 2006
    I was hoping I would never have to send my MBP in - but all good things must come to an end. I oredered it the day the C2Ds were released and have been pretty happy...until now. When I opened my mac this morning it sounded like a stick in the spokes of a bicycle wheel - if you catch my drift. I heard a similar sound on youtube, someone recorded it. It only happens for a little while (maybe 20 sec.), then goes away. It has happened twice now, so i decided to call applecare and they are sending me a box. As a med student, this will be tought to part from..she said 7 days at the most...is this accurate? Also, does anyone know about the cause of this noise? and why it would go away after 20 seconds? I guess I am just looking for similar incidents - couldn't find a lot on my search. Thanks for any input.
  2. LUNA macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2007
    Is the laptop also getting very hot when you hear the noise? I used to have a powerbook making the same noise when it became extremely hot as an iron. I guess the noise was from the fan and apparently it was not cooling the laptop properly. I took it apart, cleaned the fan and reinstalled it, and it seemed to work OK afterwards. I don't really know the reason, but I feel like the fan was either retarded by dust or not tightly installed so it maked some cracking sounds when it ran up to higher speeds. However, I sold it later, so don't know if it is OK in long run.
  3. kerisimasi thread starter macrumors member

Jul 1, 2006
    Thanks for the suggestion, however, the computer is very cold when the noise occurs....it's because I have only heard it when I open the laptop or when I wake it up/power it on. I think it may be the fan getting up to speed. Thanks for your input.
  4. jkwuc89 macrumors member

Oct 26, 2006
    Powell, OH
    My MBP C2D's fan was a bit louder than I thought it should be so I took it to my local Apple store (I was still within the 14 day return window). The Apple genius who looked at the machine had a look and then, had me listen to a fan on a MBP he was using. I stated that I thought there was a significant difference between the two so he agreed to let me swap for a new model. About an hour later (I let Apple transfer files and what not from the old MBP to the new one) and I had a new MBP with a quiet fan.
  5. kerisimasi thread starter macrumors member

Jul 1, 2006
    thanks - the only problem is that the noise goes away after 20 seconds...and it doesn't always occur. So I figured I would send it in and let them figure it out. I have had the thing for about 2 months - so beyond return date. I just want it to be quiet.
  6. richgaccione macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2007
    see my recent post about the fan problem i just encountered this week.
  7. reflex macrumors 6502a

May 19, 2002
    Did you have a cd or dvd in the drive when you started it? It could be that it reads that, looking for a bootable cd. And the MBP dvd drive can be quite loud.
  8. kerisimasi thread starter macrumors member

Jul 1, 2006
    recreating the noise

no cd or dvd in at the time - noise comes from upper left by magsafe. Also, i sometimes cannot recreate the noise...will this be a problem when I send it in to Apple? If they don't hear it and their diagnostic test are negative....are they going to return it w/o even opening it? That would suck. Thanks