MBP, cant get keyboard backlight functions to work

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cybix, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    I cant manually adjust the keyboard backlight with the F8, F9, F10 keys. When I press them normally, a grey box with the correct logo appears, but it's got a little circle with a cross through it. as if the option isnt available.

when i press holding down Fn, my expose kicks in.

my wife's MBP works perfectly, and I just copied (the best i could) all her system preferences for power settings, keyboard/mouse, etc.

attached is a screen shot... I want to manually adjust my keyboard backlight as I want. (but dont want it to come on automatically in low light conditions, etc so i can save batt power if need be)...

any ideas? the wife's machine is working just right... mine however!

Attached Files:

2. ForeverUnknown macrumors regular

Dec 30, 2006
    I'm not sure why they're a difference between your Macs, but this should do the trick for controlling the backlight sans ambient light http://labtick.proculo.de/
  3. Cybix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia

any1 else know how to just get this thing working, without any software add ons?
  4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    No idea. My POS CD MBP has recently started offering me the option - sometimes. I can at times adjust my backlight, this is even with lab tick not running. But at other times I can't and get that stop sign. My newer C2D MBP has never offered me the option, always with the stop sign.

If you ever find out, do let us know.
  5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Oct 31, 2006
    I believe the symbol means a setting is wrong...
  6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    It has to be dark enough for the backlit keyboard to come on before you can use those options.
  7. Samberino macrumors newbie

May 27, 2004
    Same issue here...

I've got the same issue here. My MBP keyboard backlight used to work perfectly until a few days back and now the F9 & F10 keys don't work (i.e. manually activate the backlight).

Would appreciate any help on this matter.

8. m28298 macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2007
    I have a similar issue with a 2 week old MBP 2.16 c2d 15". The F8 F9 & F10 keys stopped working about two days ago. If I partially cover the speaker grills the screen dims but the F-Keys remain inactive as described in other posts. I have found that by completely covering the speaker grills so that no light is able to get in then the F-keys sometimes become active – at these times pressing the F9/F10 key turns the lights off and the display has the ‘stop sign’.
    I have managed to get the automatic lighting to work again by fiddling with the F-keys in a blacked out room but it is intermittent and I quickly loose it again Once I got the manual control working, but only once and I don’t know how.
    With no solution in sight this machine is going to the repair shop – unless of course someone can tell me what I need to do to fix it myself.
  9. kajitox macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2007
    Okay, this is an ancient thread, but I'm having the same problem - any solutions?
  10. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Oct 31, 2006
    Which problem are you referring to