MBP Core 1(?) Duo, melted my Magsafe

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JimmyB248, Nov 14, 2006.

1. JimmyB248 macrumors regular

Last night I was at my desk using my MBP and I touched the Magsafe (the actual adapter) and it almost burnt my hand. Unplugged it and saw that it had gotten so hot from being plugged in the plastic had pretty much melted. It's not incredibly dodgy and I've got to get this fixed. I'm going to take it into the Regent Street store tomorrow, has this happened before? The laptop does tend to get pretty hot, is it likely to have come from there or the adapter itself?

Also, I've upgraded my hard drive and my ram, shall I put the old ones back in before I go in? I think it voided my warranty?

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

i think the ram upgrade is ok but the hard drive upgrade will void your warranty :( you need to put back the original or just take a chance, they might not notice :D

3. JimmyB248 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I'll put the old one back in tomorrow, might as well put the ram back as well just in case, can always put it back in after. Thanks a lot.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

put the RAM back. if they do notice, they won't service it.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Heh, I always thought that was funny when people thought that changing out user-servicable parts would void a warranty. Both the drive and the RAM are fine, though if you want to protect your investment you can take them out if you wish. They don't void your warranty in any way though, I've replaced both before I took my computer in for the same problem, and they gave me a new power adaptor on the spot.

Some people need to learn what they're talking about before they post so authoritatively.

jW

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

In a MacBook Pro, as the OP says he has, the hard drive is not considered 'user-servicable'. I would put the original back. (Also so that you keep all the data on the one that had been in the computer.)

RAM, however, is considered user-servicable, and wouldn't matter. (But I would take it out, just to make sure you get it back. I always send computers back to the manufacturer with exactly what they came with, just in case they swap out for a refurb.)