mbp crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bmc1818, May 27, 2006.

1. bmc1818 macrumors member

My mbp 15 has been crashing alot lately. I wont be doing anything other then using iphoto or itunes and it puts up a screen telling me to restart the computer. It also crashes while trying to update the software. Has anyone elese had problems with this? What should I do?

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Take it in to an Apple store. Tell them that shiz is unsatisfactory and you want it fixed.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Almost certainly a hardware issue. Have you added any RAM?

4. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I'm pretty sure that is a kernal panic, try taking a stick of RAM out, if that doesn't work try a clean instal of osx.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Please do not reinstall OSX. This has virtually no chance of fixing any problem that you are likely to have.

6. bmc1818 thread starter macrumors member

When i look at the report when it reboots, it says it is a kernal panic. WHat does that mean? I have not installed any extra ram just the 512 it came from apple with.

7. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

It can be said that a kernel panic is the Mac equivalent to the Windows blue screen of death. Maybe someone is willing to present a more technical definition.:eek:

About the computer, something is very much wrong w/ it. My roommate had the same issue w/ his, same specs. It would wake up when shut and overheat tremendously. I think a replacement is likely for you.

8. GannonMt21 macrumors newbie

GannonMt21

Me too

I just had that happen to my new MBP. I had to send it back the day after I got it. Yesterday. :( Well third MBP should be a charm. Fingers crossed. It is a Kernal Panic. If you turn your airport off it will work fine. I'm pretty sure I got a faullty airport card. I can't be on the internet wirelessly for more than a few minutes surfing the web without the cascading dark screen of horror. :eek: :eek: So I'm getting a new one.

9. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Reinstalling OS X fixed my kernel panic problem.. my MB was experiencing kernel panics almost everyday, so I formatted the drive and reinstalled OS X.. no crashes ever since.

I absolutey recommend reinstalling, and then check if you're having problems (dont install third party software yet.. run it with the basic stuff for 2-3 days)

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not knowing what was actually wrong, or what you tried to fix it, I can't say whether reinstalling OSX wasn't an overkill approach, though in virtually every case, it is overkill. For instance you might very well have had a problem with your disk directory which could have been repaired quite easily. There are many things to try before rolling out the heavy artillery. I strongly advise against reinstallation before other less disruptive measures are tried.