MBP dark screen area after wake from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jfleck, Jan 2, 2007.

1. jfleck macrumors newbie

Oct 25, 2006

I have a 15" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo and I just started getting a dark area on the screen when it wakes from sleep. It goes away and all looks normal after about a minute or two.
    I had a G4 iBook that had this exact problem. I took it to an Apple Store at the time and they said if it clears up within a minute or so, it's considered to be "within spec" and will not be fixed or exchanged.
    I assume this policy is still in force? Any one else have this issue or try taking it up with Apple? It's just an annoyance, really.... I mean, If you're going to do any real work, it will be gone by the time you're well into it. But for this kind of money it is really annoying!

Thanks - John
  2. e12a macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2006
    Search. This has been covered before.

There is a "warm-up" period for these LCDs.
  3. jfleck thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 25, 2006
    I did search.
    The one thread I found:
    "Is screen Warming Normal?"
    referred to a 5 sec. warm-up time. I'm talking about a minute or more.

If there's another more relevant thread, can you point me to it?

Thanks - John
  4. lamina macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2006
    From Canada, living in Seoul
    Hi John,

Stupid question, have you tried the whole resetting PRAM (or whatever you kids call it these days) trick? (Apple-Option-P-R on bootup)

Also, try holding down the power button while the computer is off until the front light blinks quickly and you hear a BOOOOOOOOP sound. Don't be alarmed, its kinda loud.

See what happens.
  5. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    It is normal, in fact I was told that it takes up to 30 minutes for the screen to reach its maximum capability.

So I have been told. 30 minutes.