Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UmaThurman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Georgia
I couldn't find the posts, but i remember someone reporting dark shades on their screens of the c2d mbp's. I notice on mine when it starts up, that the left side is considerably darker than the rest. The tool bar up top is also half/half. The upper part of the bar is lighter than the bottom half. Should I take this in, or just leave it as is? Gracias.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i think the "problem" you're describing with the menu bar (what you call the tool bar) is one of the UI (user interface) features of OS X.

the menu bar is supposed to look two-toned. the top should be a little lighter than the bottom.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
hmmm, well my 15" mbp seems to be pretty ok as far as i can tell, although if i was really picky i could say that the left side of my screen was also a little darker, but only from about an inch from the left side, after that it is very uniform! Is this the same as yours?

Also, people (myself included) have a tendancy to really scrutinise their tech and find faults that most people just wouldn't see. In the end, it comes down to whether the fault that you find would hinder your productivity or stop you from using your laptop as you originally intended to! So if a perfectly even display is that important, then take it back by all means, however, if it is something that you don't regard as having that big of an impact on you then keep it!

UmaThurman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Georgia
pianoman: thanks for the clarification. lol, i still haven't gotten fully adjusted to macs from my old pc. really love macs though.

Student: I think your totally right. It's about 1 1/2 - 2 inches on the left side that is darker. When there is a white screen on there, it looks a bit brown. I'm sure it won't annoy me as much later on, it's just that i noticed this on the boot up screen. If it gets worse i guess i'll go take it in, however making a trip to the nearest apple store (1 1/2 hours) and letting them replace it would be a pain. So i guess i'll bear with it. Appreciate your time though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.