Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
guys,
do you have any ideas whether Apple would let me exchange my mbp cd, purchased refurbished in mid December ?

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
Take it to apple store. Mostlikely they will do it, I have done this in the past.

wow, I'd be very pleasantly surprised. And I might even be able to do it at the Apple store when I originally purchased online ? That would be great, I will certainly try it on Monday.

Is this your expectation based on both your experience and the fact that my mbp is less than2 months old ?

Thx dude !

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i don't see why they would do such a thing unless there's something wrong with your machine.

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
i don't see why they would do such a thing unless there's something wrong with your machine.

yes, that's what I suspected. There may be something wrong with the battery, and I find that it generates too much heat. Of course, these may not be material enough.

My question really was whether within, say, a 3 month period one can exchange, w/o necessarily having problems. May be this just does not make any sense ?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
yes, that's what I suspected. There may be something wrong with the battery, and I find that it generates too much heat. Of course, these may not be material enough.

My question really was whether within, say, a 3 month period one can exchange, w/o necessarily having problems. May be this just does not make any sense ?

such an exchange program would lose Apple money and they're not in business to lose money. if there's something wrong with the battery, you should definitely take it to them because there have been a few battery problems in the past.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
I really doubt they'll let you exchange it in the store. If it's a battery problem, they'll most likely just replace the battery and not the entire unit.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Fan Control

What is wrong with the battery? The MBP does burn through the juice it has to be said. I can get about 3 hours on a charge, more if I turn the screen brightness right down and don't use the keyboard backlight. As for the heat, you might like to download "Fan Control" from http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23137 which I have found gives me a very cool MBP. Mine is one of the early models which did run blisteringly hot at first. It got better with updates to the firmware but I always felt it was a bit warm. With Fan Control I have been able to set the fan speeds using the handy preference pane so that it keeps the temperature nice a low (currently the machine is on my lap and running at 41C/106F).

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
yes guys, I did not have high expectations, just curious. In fact my question per se (just an exchange) was a bit weak in the first place, I admit it.

In the back of my mind are the issues of the heat and battery. Both were issues that I had heard about before buying, I took a small risk, especially buying (for the first time a refurbished unit).

As to the heat, I find this close to unacceptable on a laptop in particular. To say the truth, I was hoping software updates had by then resolved this problem; evidently not.

As to the battery, this is something I am not sure about yet, that's why I did not specify more. It's something I have just noticed as a potential problem.

Anyhow, it is a bit disappointing, because it would be just a perfect machine otherwise.

Camui

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2007
Texas
You've said you despise how hot it gets? Well, if you want to fight the heat, you should really try downloading that Fan Control program.

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
by the way, I have discovered one reason why I suspected that there is a problem with the battery.

When I close it, it suddenly does not automatically go to sleep !!!
Anyone experienced this ? It never happened with my 3+ year old iBook.

itgoesbuzz

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2005
royal oak, mi
by the way, I have discovered one reason why I suspected that there is a problem with the battery.

When I close it, it suddenly does not automatically go to sleep !!!
Anyone experienced this ? It never happened with my 3+ year old iBook.

i believe it has been an issue that it takes the intel laptops about 30 seconds or so to go to sleep, (usually) never was a problem with the powerpc machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.