MBP Final Cut 5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rdhmario3suit, Nov 23, 2006.

1. rdhmario3suit macrumors member

How well does FCP 5 run on the MBP? Like with 1GB of RAM? It doesn't work well at all on my regular MB...

Do you guys get disk speed errors with the MBP?

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Works almost as fast as a Mac Pro on my 2.33 with 200GB HDD. Just cut a bunch of HD footage yesterday on it.

3. rdhmario3suit thread starter macrumors member

Is the HDD 5200RPM?

4. JohnMC macrumors 6502

Works Great!!!

I'm running it just fine on my new MBP (15" 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD). I was color corecting some B-Roll stuff earlier off of a external FireWire 800 drive and I had zero problems with drive speeds.

JohnMC

BTW, how did you get FCP to install on a plain old MB? Apple does not support the GMA 950 for FCP Studio. :eek:

5. rdhmario3suit thread starter macrumors member

I found a universal binary version that I got to work.

Thanks for the info guys. Seriously though will a 5200 RPM hard drive be fast enough or will frames get dropped?

6. rdhmario3suit thread starter macrumors member

7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Mine is the 200GB drive, which only comes in a 4200RPM drive. There is no 5200RPM hard drive. It runs great. What more do you need to know??? You shouldn't be using your internal drive to capture video in the first place. You should ALWAYS use an external firewire drive as your scratch disk. That doesn't mean that you CAN'T use your internal drive, but it's certainly not the ideal workflow.

8. rdhmario3suit thread starter macrumors member

Why use an external hard drive as a scratch disk?

9. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Uggg, where do I start?

Digital video takes up 13GB/hour...do you really want to bog down your HD with that much storage need?

Capturing to the drive you have your system on can cause problems due to the nature of the filesizes your working with.

Always keep you project file seperate from your footage. You can always recapture your footage if you lose the files, but you can never get your edit back if you lose that. FCP project files are a few MBs MAX, you should ALWAYS back those up on a regular basis.

Other than that, I direct you to this link...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58636