MBP Final Cut Studio or Macbook Final Cut Express?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Spidey79, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Spidey79 macrumors newbie

Hey mac readers. I am a student also i am aspiring to be a filmmaker. Sadly I have realized that the majority of the people use final cut pro. I have an adequate desktop to run premiere. However, I have asked any people around me and they edit on FCP. I am getting more serious about editing and video and i find myself with a lot of projects nowadays. That makes me happy because it makes me go forward to purchase the equipment that is necessary. I do need to be mobile because I am rarely at my place.

My dilemma is whether I should invest in the macbook pro or go for the macbook. There is a sale going on at my school where the MBP stock 2.0 is 1699 and the white mid-entry model macbook is 1099. I do have two 17 inch monitors hooked up to my desktop and i have two internal two capture them. I am working. My question is if the purchase of the MBP would be suffiencient for the next two years and jump on the 100 bucks off, or wait for the new rumored MBP's?

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

As a 'filmmaker' are you focussing on the editing side of things, or will you be needing cameras & accessories as well?

What are the 'others' using to power their FCP setups?

3. Spidey79 thread starter macrumors newbie

for now I want to be my own editor, filmmaker, director, and maybe scriptwriter. if not, I want to edit because it is a way to provide a source of income for videography to fund projects.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What problems are you having w/Premiere that you want/need to switch platforms? Since you already have a PC have you looked at Avid XpressDV or Avid XpressPro HD?

Lethal

5. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

The answer is simple. Get the best you can affort (for both - the Books and Final Cut) and wait until you need to get some work done. If you need to get some work done today - go ahead and purchase the tools you need today.

Cheers
    LaForge

P.S. do you know the Cow?