MBP Frying itself.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mashinhead, Mar 11, 2007.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

So i've been using it regularly no problems, until today. I smelled burning and check the temp, its at 138 degrees!? It's a top of the line core 2 duo mbp. Bought refreshed from the apples store. Any ideas guys? and gals

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

1. what were you doing on there at the time?
    2. did you hear the fan going up?
    3. is it deg. C or deg. F?

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Is that Celsius? If so, you're DOOMED. If it's Fahrenheit, meh, that's not too bad. In fact, it's probably completely normal. I am at 163 degrees right now in my MacBook, which is nice and toasty.

I wouldn't worry about it. Unless it's C. Then you need to get that checked out right away.

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

6. dvader macrumors regular

Any updates? I noticed you said you got a refreshed model. Did you mean refurbed? I didn't know what a refreshed model was.

7. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

yeah it's F, And a refreshed model is basically open box, one that someone picked up and returned to the store. I let it sit all night after posting, and check this morning its at 122 deg F. Even at the temp it was at last night it wasn't the heat as much as the burning that was flipping me out. I could smell it burning. It wasn't event that hot to the touch.

I was using it in clamshell mode, attached to a 23 cinema display. and i was doing normal stuff. I think safari and itunes, mail, and ical were open. that's it.

8. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Ah. I use my MacBook like that, though a few seconds after the external display turns on I go ahead and open the lid of the MacBook. Its screen doesn't come on, and it cools itself much better that way. You might want to see if you can do the same.

The temperatures you've listed are really not that bad, though. The smell might not be good, but if there's no problems with the computer, it might just be cause it's new? I don't know there.

9. dvader macrumors regular

I'll also look into refreshed models as well. Hopefully, I won't have any issues with the laptop.

Do you know why the original owner returned it?

10. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

It's normal. Start worrying when it goes (and stays) above 170F.

The CPU is not going to stay at room temperature.

11. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

That reminded me of The Simpsons. Anyway, you still have a window to take it back, right? Personally, my MBP's usual temperature is 122-143F and it doesn't bother too much. But I think if you smell burning electronic components, you should bring it back.

12. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

I have a CD, and I realize that a lot of the C2D owners don't have as many heat problems, but I did until I got FanControl from MacUpdate (freeware of course). I couldn't possibly use it on my lap without this app. I'm running at about 118F right now.

Windows still heats my MBP up like a hotplate though.

13. Blubbert macrumors 6502

if the computer is new, then the burning smell is normal. My CD MBP smelled like burning for the first month or so, but since then, it has been fine. I think its completely normal, as that burning smell happened to all of the computers i had. Its like foul smelling version of the new car smell.

14. dvader macrumors regular

Are you serious? The burning smell is fine??? How is that fine?

15. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Every new computer i have used had that smell for a while. It goes away, its not permanent.

16. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

no i don't know why it was returned. it does have a grainy display thats the only neg, reason i can think of, but i've gotten used to it and don't notice it anymore. could just be they decided against it, or traded it for a MB. anything really.

Lately the temps have been running from around 120f and up. no burning smell.

17. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

I've never had that in any new laptop... much less my mucho expensive CD MBP.