Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

advocation

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Yeovil, UK
What are you opinions? I'm going to be ordering my 15" MBP and I cant seem to decide what i want! I've given up waiting for rev 2....

I wont be doing much stuff outside but I will be working indoors, in an office environment, and while traveling, so at airports, on planes, and on busses etc.

what would you guys reccomend?

MaTiCeK

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2006
I never had any glossy screens, I have a matte MBP and I'm happy with it. I am impressed by the colors glossy screens display, but I'm afraid of the mirror effect just too much.
I can imagine that while on the road light conditions are not always the best, that's why i'd buy a matte one.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
i bought and loved glossy, 1/2 of the time when i use it, there's sun directly shining on the screen.. but that doesn't bother me much

and is 3 trillion other thread on this very same topic, with the same title not enough for you?
for example, this this and this

also try this

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Well I'm on a MacBook so I didn't have the choice. However, I'm more than happy with it nevertheless. I very rarely use my notebook outside, so the sunlight never bothers me. I was using my friends MacBook Pro and his screen just looked dull in comparison. Either way, the displays Apple use are amazing.

kevinliu4

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
I would go with glossy screen all the way. The colors are just a lot more vibrant and alive. Matte is just dull and lifeless.

I don't know where you are planning to use your laptop, but I don't use mine outdoors. I'm not sure who would use their laptop more outdoors than indoors.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
i dont know why this thread is not closed.. but in case the OP is still wondering.. one of the only reason i'd go with matte is that if you want your LCD to display the true color as you printer would... glossy is a bit too rich in color than the true color

ready2switch

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2006
It's completely dependent on your personal preference. I'd suggest visiting a retailer (apple store, etc) and comparing the matte and glossy screens. You'll have an instant reaction to one or the other.

Personally, I love the glossy, but I know a lot of people hate it.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i have a glossy and there is hardly any reflection. the reflection that is there is only bothersome if you specifically focus on it. if you think you'll get distracted by the "mirror" effect, go with the matte and you'll never have to worry about it. i like the glossy because it seems sharper and i rarely notice the reflection.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
If you're not doing anything too color-minded (like professional photography, graphic design), the glossy MBP is nice. It seems a little less glossy than the MB in the store, I'm not exactly sure why.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I don't own a glossy, I own a matte 17" PB. But if there's one thing I've noticed from all these glossy vs matte threads, it's that most people who are against glossy have never used one (except for a few minutes in the store) and most you like glossy own one.

It's kinda like how most who think 17" is too big have never owned one.

TowerRat

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2006
Washington State USA
ready2switch said:
It's completely dependent on your personal preference. I'd suggest visiting a retailer (apple store, etc) and comparing the matte and glossy screens. You'll have an instant reaction to one or the other.

Personally, I love the glossy, but I know a lot of people hate it.

I totally agree.

Glossy here too. Go check them out....

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I went Matte, glossy displays are harder to "clean" (shirt wiping away dust :p). I also need more realistic color, as I am going to go into graphic design.

Nar1117

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2006
If you get glossy, you're putting the Consumer screen on the Pro laptop.

Just think about that for a bit... it helped me decide to get matte.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
at the end of the day. most people prefer matte. They are easier, less glare and offer great visuals.

If you do glossy. you get reflections and have the clean the screen even more often because you will see almost anything on it.

you be the judge, but to me the choice is clear.

Also Stores like have glossy, because it gives the impression to purchasers that it is new and shiny. wow. looks nice, but over time... you will psychologically get tired of that when you have to deal with glare.

daze

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
San Jose, California
kevinliu4 said:
I would go with glossy screen all the way. The colors are just a lot more vibrant and alive. Matte is just dull and lifeless.

I don't know where you are planning to use your laptop, but I don't use mine outdoors. I'm not sure who would use their laptop more outdoors than indoors.
I had a MacBook for a bit with the glossy screen, and apart from your own reflection when turned off, it was really good. So go with glossy.

freshS0LE

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2006
for your case...matte because you work outside a lot.

but i love the look of glossy. it's something different since
the older macs before were all matte. plus it does make
pictures look just a little more vivid and bright.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
i've seen both, and all I can say you can pry my matte screen out of my cold dead hands.

you say you don't notice the mirror effect like I do; I say I don't notice the dullness like you do.

my point being, don't listen to people who state their opinion as if it were fact. look at both and make your own determination.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.