MBP Hard drive/external drive for audio

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by brokensynthesiz, Mar 23, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 23, 2008
    I have finally upgraded my recording set up from a noisy old G4 Quicksilver to a lovely new Macbook Pro.

I have ordered a 17" Hi-Res version with a 250GB 5400 rpm hard drive. I have since realised that I should have gone for the 200GB 7200rpm drive but it is too late to change my order although they have said i can send the machine back when it arrives. I might do this but I'm thinking of getting an external firewire drive for audio anyway. Can anyone recommend a nice a super-quiet, reliable, portable external drive that is good for audio? I will be using a firewire audio interface too so I understand that would mean I can only have 2 Firewire 400 inputs.

So should I get the internal drive changed and get an external drive? Or should I leave it?
  2. macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    you should be using a second drive to record audio.

i record to an internal drive, but all my other drives (backup and remote recording) are OWC Mercury Elite drives. they're not silent, though; i'd keep it away from the mic.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 23, 2008
    Are there any others that are a bit quiter? It doesn't have to be silent but as less noise as possible is high up on the list of requirements
  4. macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2008
    Bakersfield, Ca.