MBP has been getting significantly slower

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DontBurnTheDayy, Mar 12, 2007.

1. DontBurnTheDayy macrumors member

I have a 1.83 ghz MBP with 1GB of RAM. I purchased it a little less than a year ago.

The computer is generally pretty snappy, but I've noticed a lot of slow down since purchase. OSX takes about 2-3 times as long to load up, and I have no idea what the problem is. I only have one small program that loads at start up... about 15 or so icons on my desktop... and my bar at the top loads iChat, international, airport, battery, time, and bluetooth.

Any ideas on how to get my Mac back to normal? Thanks :)

Edit: I have about 13 GB of free HD space left as well. Don't know if that matters but regardless.

2. aj98 macrumors member

Do youi leave it on 24/7, or power down when you are done?

X has a number of maintenance. crons scheduled to run in the wee hours; the crons clear caches, rotate log files, etc.

I've found of those are not run periodically, most OS X systems will slow down, then start exhibiting behavior such as failure to launch apps.

There are several utilities that will run the crons on demand, or just leave your machine on overnight.

depending on who you talk to, you need to keep 15-25% of your disk space free.

3. DontBurnTheDayy thread starter macrumors member

Hmm I see... so keeping my computer on at night will actually help it to run faster? Is this what you're getting at? It certaintly makes sense... however I have mine scheduled to shut off every night at 5:15am. So who knows.

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Well, I've heard that OS X doesn't handle desktop icons like Windows does - and that really you shouldn't leave things on your desktop. Try keeping applications on your dock and documents/media in the relevant folders - its easy enough to find them with spotlight.

Also, check Activity Monitor and see what's running. Look especially for processes listed as PowerPC as these will be running under Rosetta - get Intel-native versions if you can.

You can also try things like repairing permissions, emptying the trash etc.

5. DontBurnTheDayy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks mini-Convert...

I've put all my icons away somewhere and repaired and verified disk permissions. We'll see how this works.