MBP HD upgrade...DIY voids warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Danny Futuro, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Danny Futuro macrumors member

Do any of you know if a DIY HD upgrade will void my MBP's warranty? I'm considering taking it in to an apple store and having them perform the surgery, but if I can do it myself to save money, I want to be sure I can do it without any repercussion. Anyone know off-hand how much Apple charges for an HD installation?

2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

In an MBP it will void your warranty. I'm not sure how much they charge, but an authorised repair centre (non Apple owned) would probably be cheaper.

3. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

I thought on the MB and MBP that DIY RAM and hard drive upgrades do not void your warranty?!?!? Are you quite sure SpookTheHamster?

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

This has been beaten to death.

User replaceable RAM only on the MBP. HD would have to be serviced by a qualified Apple technician, at the apple store or elsewhere, or the apple warranty will be voided.

the only user serviceable part on the MBP is the RAM and Battery.

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Why, then does the Apple website give step-by-step instructions how to replace the hard drive??

6. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

Apple's website has a DIY guide for replacing a Macbook hard drive, not a Macbook Pro hard drive. The Macbook's hard drive is user replaceable. The Macbook Pro's hard drive is not.

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

DOH! This is a MBP Thread!