MBP HDD Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bimboles, Nov 12, 2006.

1. bimboles macrumors member

Does anyone know how much Apple charge to upgrade a store brought MBP Hard Disk. Mine currently has the 120GB but I would like to upgrade it to the 160GB.

I assume the warrany would be void if I did it myself.

2. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

I also am interested in the price to do this. I'm guessing its going to be ALOT, because the 160GB drive itself will cost a few hundred and then you probably have to pay apple to instal it without voiding the warranty :(.

3. reflex macrumors 6502a

Why not just ask Apple (or at least the place where you bought the laptop)?

4. bimboles thread starter macrumors member

Because this is a discussion group based on other peoples experiences.

Rather than waist a lot of time contacting Apple only to find out it is going to cost a fortune we thought we would see if anyone is has any experience in this area.

Cheers,

Tim

5. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

It doesn't void the warranty, and Apple even has their own DIY guide.

So, Cost = Cost of new drive.

6. bimboles thread starter macrumors member

That's for the Macbok not the Macbook Pro.

Thanks anyway though.

Tim

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That's for the MacBook.

The hard drive is not user-replaceable in the MacBook Pro, so yes, you would need an Apple-authorized tech to do it.

It'll be pricey.

8. Jesus macrumors 6502

I do believe that that guide is for the Macbook, for which it is easy to change the HD. ifixit.com would be the first place to look for a MBP HD guide, but I don't know if they have one up yet.

edit:
    Damn, beaten to it.

I found the guide for the MBP, but this WILL void you warranty

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/

9. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Nobody's noticed this yet, but the guide I posted is for the MacBook, not the MBP.

Anyway, it doesn't look like it'd be too difficult to do, if you're willing to void the warranty. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate, looks a lot easier than the 12" PB HD that I replaced a while back, and it wouldn't have to be shipped away/left in a store for... however long it takes.

At any rate, this surgery would have to be performed by an Apple-certified tech, but the prices are totally up to them. I'd bet the service charge would be somewhere in the range of $100 or so.

Link

10. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

if you use the same 160gb hdd as apple use and do a good job, they cant know that you did unless they check what configuration you bought in the first place, and maybe they don't do it each time a machine in is repair :D

11. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

Good link, that doesn't look that hard. Too bad 160GB drives are $150+, but maybe after selling a 100GB drive in my MBP it wouldn't be to expensive.