Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
When I open my MBP from sleep I get a blue screen for a second then it pops me to my desktop. Is this blue screen known as the Kernal Panics?

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
That blue screen is just your computer waking up. A kernel panic will lock up your computer and will normally involve a black screen telling you to restart. I think. I've never seen one in my four plus years of using a Mac.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Do you have an external monitor hooked up? The screen flashes blue on Macs primarily when the system is reconfiguring the screens -- e.g. if you plug in an external display, the internal display will also flash blue while the system gets reconfigured to do screen spanning. Normally, at least on Macs I've used, the screen goes from black to the normal desktop when you wake from sleep without a blue screen, if you don't have external displays plugged in.

But as stated above, if you have a kernel panic, you'll know. You'll definitely know.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
My MBP also gets blue screens upon wake up (only when I open the lid, if it was open prior to desktop it pops me straight to my desktop) and even then, its pretty uncommon. I wouldn't worry.
A Kernel panic is when, seemingly for no reason at all (trust me, there is one;) ) the screen dims and a grey box pops up saying, in about a million different languages, "you need to restart your computer press and hold the power button, blah, blah."
MUCH nicer and happier than a BSOD!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.