MBP Keyboard Illumination Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bdugan, Apr 30, 2006.

1. bdugan macrumors regular

Feb 14, 2006
    As of today, my mbp has yet another problem. Half the time when the lights are off, the keyboard doesnt even bother to turn on the lights. And now when it does, it is definately not as bright as they used to be.

Does anyone else have this problem with a potential solution?

Other problems include:

the imfamous whine
    keyboard nonresponsive to when i start computer back up (sometimes)
    doesnt wake up from sleep

I would send it in now, but I have finals in about 2 weeks so I am willing to wait and use it till I am done with school.
  2. regre7 macrumors 6502

Apr 18, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm just a Mac novice, but here's my two cent. Is anything obstructing the ambient light sensor? I know I'd kick myself if that was it.
  3. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

Sep 6, 2005
    There is a button...F10...that will make the keyboard brighter when it is illuminated.
  4. bdugan thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 14, 2006

where is this sensor located? I doubt thats the problem since I never move my laptop, but its good info to know
  5. Peyton macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    under the speaker grids is where they are located
  6. bdugan thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 14, 2006
    now for some reason none of my "F" keys at the top of my keyboard work. Only the F8-F12's work, but not the volume or screen illuminations key. anyone have any ideas
  7. Gurutech macrumors 6502

Jan 22, 2006
    Are you a mac beginner?
    If so.. check system preference..
    System Preference -> Keyboard and Mouse -> go to keyboard tab.

see if the box in front of "Use the F1-F12 keys to control software feature is checked..
    if checked, you have to press fn key with actual function key.

also, below that option, you will see the option regarding illuminated keyboard.

if you know what all these mean.. then I'm sorry.. and I don't know what might be causing the problem..
    Good luck