MBP Keyboard Wear

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djinn, Jan 13, 2007.

1. djinn macrumors 68000

Oct 4, 2003
    I was just curious how the MBP keyboard wear shows? Like on my Thinkpad the keys start to get shiny where I obviously type. I would get one of those silicon keyboard covers but I had that with my Dell, and had to push the keys hard and it did affect my ability to type fast.

Just wanting to keep the beauty of my MBP while using it. I'm currently hooked up with an external keyboard and mouse.
  2. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

Sep 18, 2006
    Nothing is wearing out on mine as of yet and I've had it for 3 months, my dad's neither who's had it for 5 months
  3. djinn thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 4, 2003
    In case someone says something, no I am not eating fried chicken or any other greasy food.
  4. interlaced macrumors 6502a

Nov 16, 2005
    I usually clean my keyboard down every week with iKlear. No shiny spots yet. :)
  5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Jan 11, 2007
    North Central Florida
    Heck, i'd take shiny any day - my 12" iBook the letters are chipping off :D
  6. el3ctone macrumors member

Jun 28, 2008
    man i think have a set of crappy keys, cuz i had my MBP for 2 months, and my QWERTY keys are turning shinier, keys that i type on more commonly, and my number keys still gritty.

why is mine wearing so fast, and what can i do about it!
  7. pdxflint macrumors 68020

Aug 25, 2006
    Oregon coast
    It's happening to mine too, it's 6 months old. I wash my hands to keep any oil or food grease off of them, but it seems more like it's wearing the rough texture down by friction of typing more than grease or dirt. Cleaning doesn't remove it, and it just feels much smoother where I use the keys a lot compared to the rougher texture of unused keys. It would have been better if the keys were smooth metal instead of silver plastic from the get go, so this polishing effect wouldn't have been so pronounced. On my space bar, where my right thumb hits the key it's showing wear, too. It only bothers me when I focus on it, but otherwise the keyboard works perfectly. I guess I can't obscess about keeping it looking brand new, since it is a work tool first and foremost.
  8. Herrow macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2008
    Like other have said. Keep your keyboard clean to avoid "honing" the keys to a brilliant luster. I prefer the Optimist Prime cleaner in conjunction with a microfiber.

That said, if you do happen to wear a few particular keys over a few years, they are easily user-replaceable. Don't sweat it.
  9. Habusho macrumors 6502

Aug 12, 2006
    I had mine for 6 months and no wear at all. Even with my lady friend's useage with long nails, it was fine.