MBP locking up while downloading

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by yodermk, Jun 19, 2006.

1. yodermk macrumors member

May 13, 2006
    I''ve been trying to grab the new KNOPPIX DVD (4GB) while traveling with my MBP to a place of high bandwidth...

I set it to never turn off and left it downloading for the night. When I got up in the middle of the night, it was obviously running, but would not respond to anything. The suspend light was in, but only in the dim state.

I just tried the download again now, during the day. About 400MB into the download (and I had touched the thing to be sure it stayed awake several times before that) there was a big power icon on the screen telling me I had to reset my computer. No explanation was given.

What's with that???

The download was with the AirPort, if that matters.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    What app are you using? I'm not sure what KNOPPIX is, but I'll assume this is all good an legal. :)
  3. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

Feb 23, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    KNOPPIX is a distro of Linux. Are you using a brower to download it ? Are you using bittorrent ? FTP, SCP, etc ?

I know that browsers tend to not like files over a few hundred MB. However, it should make the OS crash.
  4. zaxxon macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2006
    Had the same problem while downloading from software update. That powerbutton-sign means a kernel panick has occured. I resolved my problem by removing one of the 2 1GB memory-chips. I had Transcend and Kingston installed, with the Kingston apparently causing me trouble.