Mbp/mb ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by miles01110, Jul 31, 2006.

1. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Hi everyone-

A week or two ago I posted about buying a Macbook. Since then, my parents inform me that they have ~$1600 in visa credit that they will give to me to buy it. So now I am considering buying a MBP and paying the difference out of pocket.

Is this a good idea? I work in physics and run some fairly intense simulations, etc. and the graphics card of the MBP would be nice. On the other hand, the MB would be basically free...

So, if Merom processors DO get announced for the MBP at WWDC, how long do you think it will take to get phased into production? It would kind of stink to buy one now and then 2 weeks later have the chip phased out....not that I would be unhappy with the current core duo :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

uhhhm, there have been rumors (read on the main Page) that intel has shipped them to manufacturers, no one can really tell when they will make it to the stores, just stick around and wait, you dont NEED it by any specific date do you? Then you'll be one of the first to buy one:) ;)

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

my take: get a MBP - use the money you would've spent on the MB to bump up to the pro... i don't think you'll regret it. and get all the upgrades possible.

whatever you get, though, i'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.

4. omgwut macrumors 6502

omgwut

You should definitely plunk the extra cash down and get yourself a MacBook Pro if you can do it. You would essentially be getting the MacBook for free, but you're still getting a MacBook Pro with a huge price knock-off if you go the other route, so either way is a sweet, sweet deal.

Make sure to thank your parents, that was a pretty nice gesture on their behalf. :]

5. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I'd wait for the MBP (at least until after WWDC to see if there's any update), you sound like you'd benefit from the extra features it offers, such as the dedicated GPU.

6. miles01110 thread starter macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh, I am...

7. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

no kidding, i paid for my Macbook Pro all by myself, and EVEN THEN they were mad at me!!! i sooo dont get parents.....:(