MBP memory: 1.5Gb single or 2x512Mb dual?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kiff, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Kiff macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2006
    Since the introduction of the MBP (personally I don't think the name is that bad) I've been eagerly reading every Apple news-site on the web just to hear some news on the Intel Macs. I finally made the decision to go for it and Switch®! :)

I'm just doubting on one thing: Would it be better to buy an extra SO-DIMM of 1Gb or 512Mb? Or to rephrase: Go dual channel or go more memory?
    As I've said I'm about to switch so I've got no clue as what memory expectations are for OSX (for WinXP 1Gb is more than enough). Once I figure this out, I'm hitting that "Order Now" button!
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    There are contradictory reports as to whether the MBP even supports dual-channel access at all. Personally I'd go for more RAM over dual-channel.
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Dual channel performance is overrated. Go for more RAM in total, assuming you need it. :)
  4. alienex macrumors regular

Feb 11, 2005
    is there a way to find out if the MBP supports dual channel and what is supposed to be the advantage of dual channel instead of more ram?
  5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Yes: We wait for Apple to release developer notes that say definitively one way or another what memory architecture is in the machine(s)

However, in almost every case: 1.5 Gb total RAM unmatched trumps 1.0 Gb total RAM in matched pairs, just because of the extrra .5 Gb for the OS. Initial rumors are that the iMac Intel doesnt reach full performance until you get over 1 Gb.
  6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia Beach, VA