MBP Memory Upgrades...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KidVicious, Aug 3, 2006.

1. KidVicious macrumors newbie

KidVicious

Okay, so I'm planning to buy a MBP after WWDC and to configure it with the base 512x1 RAM. Now, I wanted to buy a 1GB stick from Crucial as soon as I buy the MBP, then possibly get another 1GB down the road.

Originally I planned to just take the stock 512 out and put the 1GB in its place for fear of memory-mismatching issues slowing the computer down. However, I'm beginning to wonder if it would be benificial instead to keep the 512 in to make it 1.5GB. Would the memory increase of .5GB outweigh the disadvantage of memory mismatching, or should I just swap the 512 for the 1GB?

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Hmm, interesting. More RAM is more RAM, regardless of mismatching. 1.5GB is more than enough (though I'm one to talk, I have 2 GB! :D)

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

1.5 GB of unmatched RAM will absolutely be better than a single 1 GB stick...no question about it. The speed gain you see from matched RAM in the MBP is minimal.

And please don't support Crucial and their unsavory business practices...they're overpriced anyway. I use OWC or DMS for my purchases...much better pricing (though not bargain basement), Mac-knowledgeable, and terrific customer service. You'll find lots of other people around here recommending them as well.

4. KidVicious thread starter macrumors newbie

KidVicious

Yeah, I have 2GB in the self-built Windows PC I'm using right now. I'm wondering though why people are adamant about not mismatching RAM. How much performance is lost by mismatching?

EDIT: What's wrong with Crucial? I've been using their RAM for a while and I've had no complaints.