MBP + Merom = more heat ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kraftzwerg, Sep 15, 2006.

1. kraftzwerg macrumors regular

Maybe a reason for Apple not to simply put in the Merom chips into the current MBP's is that they do in fact generate more heat than the Yonah ones. Of course the increase in speed would be greater than the heat increase, but since there were so many heat problems already with the current MBP's, the slight heat increase may be problematic. Maybe Apple's decision to make the MBP flatter than the Powerbook is now backfiring - the original Powerbook case would have provided more room to assure efficient cooling. It would also have allowed for a bigger battery to keep the MBP battery life on par with the Powerbooks (I still love the 4+ hour battery life of my Powerbook).

2. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

Well, at a given frequency, they have the same thermal characteristics...so I don't see Apple upgrading the machines until they have a higher frequency to pimp to consumers...so yes, heat will increase.

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I believe the MBP is like, 1mm smaller than the Powerbook. Not exactly sure how much of a difference that would make in terms of cooling, but you never know. It's always those little things.

4. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

I had my MBP next to my friend's last revision PB...and as I had previously suspected, the body is quite a bit thinner than 1mm....but the overall thinkness is only 1mm less because the screen is thicker than that on the PB. This might be because of the iSight, I don't know.

5. kraftzwerg thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just wondering: who else here would rather have the MBP 5mm or so thicker and get longer battery life, less heat and less noise in return?

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Very sharp observation.

The one thing that would stop Apple from using the Meroms would be if
    their testing revealed unsatisfactory thermal characteristics.

If that's the case, then we might be looking at a long wait for Santa Rosas or Penryns

While we're on that subject, it would be interesting to see the Temperature Monitor
    readings on a Merom iMac.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Part of the problem is poor fan placement. Mounting a smaller fan vertically to blow across the CPU would dissipate heat much better than a larger horizontally mounted fan blowing the hot air to the top of the case, as the design is currently.

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

5 mm thicker? Are you crazy?? At most 2 mm would be the the perfect one.

9. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

No way. 5mm is massive, and the 17'' MBPs would weight in probably at 12 pounds. That's what Dells look like.

I'd rather Apple design their case to accommodate an "extended life battery" so that it can look like the current MBPs normally - but you can add some bulk (to the back of the laptop? or somehow to the bottom, to increase thickness? not sure how it'd fit) to double the battery life. (Like the Thinkpads.)

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

How would more room in the case ensure efficient cooling?

IMO, the two things will ensure cooling are (1) don't make the heat in the first place and (2) if that can't be helped, vent the heat as quickly as possible. Moving everything away from the heat may take it a minute or two longer before the internals get as hot, but I don't see where it helps with cooling.

Apple needs to release another SMC firmware update that ups the fans as much as they did with the MacBooks (which were ~10c cooler after their SMC firmeware update).

12. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

Apple should make an extended battery that is the same size as the base of the notebook (but thin) and then a module that fits inside of the battery bay...that way, it makes the whole machine a bit thicker, but only with the extended battery. I think it could work well (although I'm not sure I explained myself very well).

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A "battery pad" kind of thing? Sounds dangerous given the current state of notebook batteries :)

14. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Merom on paper does run hotter than Yonah. However, real-world tests show the difference to be minute. It shouldn't be difficult at all for Apple to make a Merom MBP.

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'd still like to see Temperature Monitor readings from a new Core Duo 2 iMac
    and compare them to current readings on a MacBook Pro.

There's a point where just a bit too much heat can make those fans kick on
    at an unacceptable frequency.

A fatter notebook might be able to handle it, but these machines are quite thin,
    so it might be an issue. I really don't know.

16. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

I don't see how it would make it more dangerous. The batteries aren't inherently dangerous in the first place under normal conditions, it just happens that there are some defective ones out there. Everyone hears about the few cases where something catastrophic happens, but considering the millions (or more?) batteries out there, it's pretty darn safe. I think you'd have a better chance at winning the lottery.

If size was an issues, the entire platform could be a very thin battery (in addition to the normal sized part that fits in the compartment). Another option is to make it a bit thicker in the back and include a couple of small fans/cooling at the back, and battery near the front.

All I was suggesting is that an expanded battery could be possible....and maybe useful.

17. david6545 macrumors member

I'm interested in a MacBook. Do current Macbooks run as hot as current Rev A MacBook Pros? (In other words, would MacBooks benefit thermally from a case re-design in the same way as MacBook Pros would?)

18. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, I know. I was being sarcastic.

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

I switched from a MacBook Pro to a MacBook specifically because the MacBook was cooler. Since then, Apple has released the MacBook SMC firmware update and the MacBook is even more cool to the touch, so heat performance can be affected without a case redesign.

I wish Apple would redo the MacBook Pro SMC firmware update to make as much of a heat difference as the one for the MacBook made. If they would do that, I'd gladly repurchase a MBP. :)

20. david6545 macrumors member

Thanks. And noise wise, did you find any difference between both lines?

21. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

My MacBook Pro actually felt colder to the touch than than my significant other's MacBook over the weekend.

The MacBook Pro wasn't plugged in however but after the new Logic Board the heat isn't really that much of an issue.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

There were times the three MacBook Pros that I went through were cool, but after having been on for an hour or more, none of them were comfortable enough for me to type a lot on. Two areas around the keyboard (the strip above the function keys and the area to the left of the keyboard (near the speaker)) were hot enough to put my hands on the verge of sweating when I did a lot of typing. If I was just surfing the web or doing anything else that didn't require a lot of keyboard interaction, the MacBook's heat never really bothered me (especially after I bought an iLap). Never could figure out a way to cool the TOP of my MacBook Pro, so I got a refund and bought a MacBook.

Glad to hear the new logic board may have fixed that. Wish my local Apple store (only been open for 2 weeks now) would update their MacBook Pros with the new logic board, because on their display units, the bar above the function keys is still incredibly hot. Obviously I haven't done an hours worth of typing on the store models, so maybe the other areas are cooler. :confused:

The only time I could hear the fans on my MacBook was when the CPU was pegged. During normal operation I'd have to put my ear down to the keyboard to hear them. Didn't notice any battery life decrease either.