Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
Guys, I'm really enjoying my MBP C2D that I purchased a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to ask others who are doing the same thing as I am; I'm running my 23" ACD with my MBP and when I have both the MBP and ACD screens on when connected, I notice a really degraded picture quality on my ACD. As soon as I put the MBP to sleep and run just the ACD, the picture quality is perfect.
Have others experienced this, is this normal???

Thx

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
Guys, I'm really enjoying my MBP C2D that I purchased a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to ask others who are doing the same thing as I am; I'm running my 23" ACD with my MBP and when I have both the MBP and ACD screens on when connected, I notice a really degraded picture quality on my ACD. As soon as I put the MBP to sleep and run just the ACD, the picture quality is perfect.

Thx

How are you getting any output if the MBP is asleep? :)

It sounds to me like the resolution on the 23" ACD isn't being set properly. When you connect the external display, make sure you crank up the resolution so it matches the 23" ACD's native resolution (1920x1200). You can adjust it with the Displays Preference pane. I also find it handy to check the "Show Displays in Menu Bar" option - then you can just click the icon to change the res.

Hope that helps!

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
How are you getting any output if the MBP is asleep? :)

It sounds to me like the resolution on the 23" ACD isn't being set properly. When you connect the external display, make sure you crank up the resolution so it matches the 23" ACD's native resolution (1920x1200). You can adjust it with the Displays Preference pane. I also find it handy to check the "Show Displays in Menu Bar" option - then you can just click the icon to change the res.

Hope that helps!

I mean that I put the MBP to sleep and wake it up with the screen closed so that it runs the ACD only. It makes a huge difference in the picture quality when I do this as opposed to running both monitors.

I have both screens set at their maximum resolution. The problem isn't the res., there is a fuziness, the only way to describe it, on the ACD when the MBP's monitor is running at the same time.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

Thx

You say "mirroring quality" in the heading - are you mirroring the display or are you running the two as separate screens? If you are mirroring then you will get a degraded picture on the ACD because it will be showing exactly the same thing as on the MBPs screen, at the exact same res.

So, you'd be running a 1920x1200 screen at a resolution much lower than it's native res. You should run it in extended desktop mode - just press F7 to switch so you have the screens separate which would run both at their native resolution.

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
I mean that I put the MBP to sleep and wake it up with the screen closed so that it runs the ACD only. It makes a huge difference in the picture quality when I do this as opposed to running both monitors.

I have both screens set at their maximum resolution. The problem isn't the res., there is a fuziness, the only way to describe it, on the ACD when the MBP's monitor is running at the same time.

Hmm, that's very weird. I'm fresh out of ideas now, sorry :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.