MBP Monitor "Upgrade"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SpaceJello, Apr 3, 2007.

1. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

Curious, i have a c2d mbp and was wondering in future (let say a year or 2) would it be possible to upgrade the LCD if LED screens comes up or greater resolution screens are available?

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I won't say impossible (screen swaps have been done between models of PowerBook before), but it won't be cheap, will probably require major surgery and will degrade the computer's aesthetic appearance (since the new screen may not look or fit the same as the old one).

So I say yes*. ;)

3. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Within 2 years you'll probably need to buy a new 'puter anyhow.

Technology change this fast; I'm already saving to replace my Macbook Pro in 2-3 year's time.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

LOL, speak for yourself - my machines go 6 years between replacements, due to the state of my finances. ;)

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

6 years is ages! 2-3 years is quite a long time if you think about how much the current Mac range could change. In the past year or so, we've seen them switch to Intel, introduce the Core 2 Duo to the range and Leopard developments almost complete.

Might have a new OS to donder with in 3 years :p

6. SpaceJello thread starter macrumors 6502

that's why i always wonder if it is a "good investment" to get a laptop and not a desktop + lower end laptop (ie macbook).

On that note, anyway to hack into the mbp and turn up the brightness? It isn't as nearly as bright as the ACDs :(

7. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

You could turn off "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes".

[​IMG]

This'll stop the MBP from adjusting the display brightness itself (i.e. when its dark the screen dims down, when its light the screen brightens - its to protect your eyes). I find it irritating and prefer to control it myself.

8. SpaceJello thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a good idea, but is there a way of "over clocking" brightness the way one can do with CPUs etc.

9. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Nah. You'd end up blowing the back light.

I think my MBP screen is bright enough as it is - if I'm in a reasonably lit room I usually drop the brightness to 3 bars from full, maybe 4, helps my eyes if I'm using it for a long period of time.

If I'm watching a film in the dark, I put the brightness up full (hence why I disabled that automatic feature).

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

6 years is not ages. I've had my P4 1.7 prior to my MBP for 7 years. and i still use it to this day. Some of us like to get the most out of everything while driving it into the ground.

i cant imagine buying a computer every 2-3 years...all that money.

11. SpaceJello thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha I guess I am only comparing my matte screen with the glossy ones I have seen around. Man, you can see what people are reading at the other end of the room with those screens because they are so bright and "crisp".

12. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

For the applications I use, games etc, the latest proggies would run really slow unless I upgraded every 3 years (considering there will be new versions of the software etc).

Just helping Apple stay in business ;)

13. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Sure, there are lots of changes, but my last Powerbook G4 lasted a full five years. The laptop itself didn't kick the bucket, but the projects I started working on got to be too big. I sold the computer to a friend of mine, and he's getting lots of good use out of it (and it runs better than his brand new Gateway laptop did).

There have been lots of changes over the last 5 years, but my laptop kept up with all of it.

14. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

If you buy Dells you'd get more out of Moore's law alone over 6 years than what OS X ever will give :rolleyes: