Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
The keys on my MB definitely left marks on the LCD screen when closed (even though it was claimed that with the recessed screen, this was no longer necessary as it had been on PowerBooks).

Does the MBP C2D 15" need a screen protector over the keyboard when closed?

If it really does need one, what would you guys recommend?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
The keys on my MB definitely left marks on the LCD screen when closed (even though it was claimed that with the recessed screen, this was no longer necessary as it had been on PowerBooks).

Does the MBP C2D 15" need a screen protector over the keyboard when closed?

If it really does need one, what would you guys recommend?
Why not just use the thin foam packaging that came with your MBP? I cut mine down so it covers the keyboard and track pad areas.

mobi

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2004
Penn's Woods

Helianthus

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2007
I don't have a macbook pro, but for my macbook, I just use the foam insert that came with it.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
I don't get any markings on my CD MBP.

If you find the need to get a protecting cloth then either use the foam (as other poster mentioned), or buy a cheap cleaning cloth you can customize.

IMO it's a waste of money getting a brand name protective cloth.

gmckenzi

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
I do use the RadTech microfibre screen protector, and have on several PowerBooks and now my MBP.

Depending on how you use your MBP you may or may not need it. In my case my MBP travels in a Briggs & Riley bag and depending on what else is in the back the MBP can get ever so slightly compressed causing the keys to touch the display.

In my case I do notice the benefit of having the protector, plus the value in having a microfibre cloth on hand to quickly wipe away someone else's misguided fingerprints on my display.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
I got keyboard markings on my Macbook Pro. When my computer got replaced I got a pad and so far it has been working.

MrMacbookMan

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2007
If you are closing your screen and just leaving your computer on the desk, then the keys shouldn't touch. But if you are putting anything on top of it or your putting it in a bag or something, then the materials flex and they touch. So if you are just leaving it on your desk and this is happening, thats weird. But otherwise, some protector is needed and if you still have it, the one it came with would work great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.