Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicoritschel

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Lately, my macbook pro hasn't been sleeping after i close the lid. I've put it in its case to find it still on hours later, surrounded by massive amounts of heat. A restart will fix this problem for a few hours or so, but restarting is becoming rather annoying. Anyone had this problem?

RainForRent

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
Greenville, SC
I've had similar issues, and it's only a recent thing.
If I close the lid, it sometimes will, sometimes won't sleep.
However, selecting sleep from the Apple menu works perfectly.

I hope someone has some insight on this.

craigatkinson

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
I'm probably not the guy to instruct you on how to do this, but I found a solution elsewhere on this forum. Basically it told me to "clear the PRAM". Now that it's been a couple weeks since I've done it I can't remember the key sequence for doing that, but I'm sure you can find instructions on how to do that pretty easily. After I cleared the PRAM it went away for a while, then started up again, I cleared the PRAM again and it's been working ever since. It may quit working again, and if it does, then I'll just clear the PRAM again.

nmamur

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2006
new york
i dowloaded an app that controls my MBP fan i suspect this might be the culprit...not sure.
goes away sometimes when i restart the computer...u guys wouldnt happen to have this program too, wouldja?

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
I think the consensus is that this was caused by 10.4.8. I have had similar problem, I just tell it to sleep. Hope a better (better than clearing PRAM) fix will surface soon.

nmamur

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2006
new york
actually put it in my backpack after work...got home...took it out... the fans were blazing!
core duo temp recorded like 140, but musta felt like 160.
i got the crap scared outta me...thought i toasted my MBP.
last few days ive been very attentive to make sure this doesnt happen again...until theres a fix

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
nmamur said:
actually put it in my backpack after work...got home...took it out... the fans were blazing!
core duo temp recorded like 140, but musta felt like 160.
i got the crap scared outta me...thought i toasted my MBP.
last few days ive been very attentive to make sure this doesnt happen again...until theres a fix
Correct me if I am wrong, but one of the reason the computer sleeps when you close the lid is because it isn't good for the computer to be shut while on. So, yeah this could be a bad thing but at least you know now.

sturigdson

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
Correct me if I am wrong, but one of the reason the computer sleeps when you close the lid is because it isn't good for the computer to be shut while on. So, yeah this could be a bad thing but at least you know now.

You can use the MBPs in clamshell mode, which is when an external monitor keyboard, and mouse are connected but the screen is closed. The machine is on.

Note:
I've had this exact same problem. I cannot isolate what the issue has been, but I'll tell you a few things you can try:
1. Reset the computer
2. Reset the PRAM [Turn the MBP off, remove the mag safe power adapter and the Battery. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds while no power sources are attached. Replace battery and magsafe, turn computer on.]
3. Delete these files and ONLY these files:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.AutoWake.plist

You may not have the AutoWake.plist file. I didn't.

I had tried the first two methods to only limited success. I found the third method on the below discussion on the apple.com website. This seems to be a common problem for MBP owners.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=636696&tstart=75

For me, the third method is the only one that's worked for any significant period of time. It's possible the problem may return, couldn't tell ya.

Also, for problems like this, I often find much better solutions in the Apple.com support discussion group threads than here on Macrumors. do searches on those message boards, you can find all sorts of things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.