MBP or console?

Discussion in 'Games' started by aaronfzr, Oct 24, 2006.

1. aaronfzr macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2006
    OK guys, my question is a little bit silly, cos the answer is probably "it depends on your personal preferences", but maybe you can help me out, (or at least share some ideas :) )

I want to get a new laptop, and until Saturday (when I walked into an Apple store) my mind was pretty much made up: MacBook Pro, 2gb - will do everything I need, and have the freedom & flexibilility to play most games too. I dont play that many games, but the freedom to play what I want is very nice, and my favourite games are strategy/tactics ones (ie. total war rome) that dont usually make it to console.

And then I walked into the Apple store, and instantly fell in love with the blackbook. So chic, sleek, and damned pretty. Is pretty much comparable to the MBP, except for screen (not concerned) and the graphics card.

So guys, what would you do: go for the pretty macbook and perhaps buy a console for games, or keep it all in one silver unit and go the macbook Pro?
  2. a456 macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2005
    Consoles for playing games every time - they are cheaper and have greater longevity in terms of games compatibility.
  3. Kiscokid macrumors member

Oct 19, 2005
    Depends on where and how you play your games. I prefer not to be sat in the lounge playing a console. I like to come up to the study - turn on the mac - and have a couple of hours solotime. I also like to play windowed - pause the game - check my emails - quick surf on the net.
    So for me it would be the mac with all the added functionality.
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    well, you did say that the games you like to play don't make it to the consoles so wouldn't that rule out the colsole option?
  5. zimtheinvader macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2005
    the capitol
    Depends, most console games are FAR more expensive than the PC versions,
    ie. $30 vs $60 for Quake 4, ect. Plus NO MOUSE. I would reccomend sticking with MBP especially since they just got the CD2 and way more memory/HDD than MB. The black color is cool, but 2 years down the line it will just be a novelty, while the MBP will still be a great computer.

Quake 4, Doom 3, Call of Duty, Halo2 ect.: Xbox 360 plays OK, expensive, need Live subscription, wired ethernet connection or adaptor, no mouse, Macbook will not play hardly at all, play against Xbox users...

Wow, WC1/2/3, Battlefield 1942/Vietnam/2/2142, Quake1/2/3/4/Wars: Macbook Pro plays, comparatively inexpensive once u buy XP pro and dual-boot, wireless, larger, higher-quality screen, better isight, better processor, plays most current and next-gen games, with full KB, mouse, and gamepad support...
  6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Jun 29, 2006
    Not at the beginning (compare $40 to $50 or $50 to $60) and eventually no, unless you buy used. :)

This is hardly a disadvantage. Otherwise console gaming wouldn't be so popular.

Hehehe… not. Don't spread FUD, please. The MB will still be a fine computer (and you seem to have forgotten both can be upgraded in terms of RAM and HD capacity), and so will the MBP, but there will be plenty of stuff that neither computer can run by then.

An Xbox 360 with five years of Live is still much cheaper than an MBP. And it plays far more than okay, unless you listen to fanboys who don't know what they're talking about. You don't need a mouse to play games (a control pad is quite excellent for many games), and the part of your sentence starting with "MacBook will not…" makes no sense at all.

It's MUCH more expensive than a console. The low-end MBP is five times the price of the premium Xbox 360, and it's not nearly as powerful (for gaming). Now, if he wants strategy games, he should go with a computer. But don't spread FUD to get him there, please.
  7. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    strategy and tactics games ? PC (this includes apple) only choice .. sure there might be battle for middle earth for xbox and the oncoming halo wars but that's about RTS about now ... at least for the moment

for portables the situation is less bad in terms of round based tactics/strategy games (with slight advantage for the ds .. but there is some "... commander" game which isn't bad for psp either)

to sum it up: forget consoles if you like massive strategy games .. sad but true ... for tactics you might find some from time to time but mostly they are tactics rpgs or something like that
  8. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

Apr 6, 2006
    Nassau, Bahamas
    Dude, I say console all the way. I used to be a die-hard PC gamer... wouldn't even consider a console. Then I bought an Xbox, and I'd never go back. It's just so much easier. You buy a game, and it's guaranteed to run just as well as anyone else who has the game. No more fussing around with installations, system requirements etc. And the way things are going, the games are becoming identical on PC or the consoles, and the anlog controllers make life so much easier (ie. Splinter Cell).
  9. zimtheinvader macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2005
    the capitol
    right, but my point was that a black Macbook plus a 360 plus accessories plus games was, in total, comperable to the cost of of the Macbook Pro. And many hardcore PC gamers remain PC gamers due to the Xbox's current lack of mouse support and lack of RTS titles and delays in porting games.

Regarding performance Quake 4 fps benchmarks on the older Macbook Pro surpassed the Xbox360 version uniformally, at higher resolutions, in both the Universal Binary (OSX) and Windows (bootcamp) versions. Same for Call of Duty.

Ok so this is speaking from experience, I have owned and subsequently sold 3 xboxs due to my above mentioned frustrations, having sold the last one to upgrade from a iBook to PB, and have never regretted being w/o it since imho for Pros the Powerbook is such a superior machine to the iBook (similar to Macbook vs MBP).

If you want console gaming too, I would reccomend a PS2, which is cheaper and has more "console" type games.