MBP, or MB.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bored911, Mar 1, 2007.

1. bored911 macrumors 6502

bored911

I currently have a 2ghz core duo 1gb ddr2 macbook, but i was wondering if it was worth it to make the upgrade. I may not, because of portability, and i was wondering if the macbook is signifigantly more portable??

:apple:

2. JDN macrumors 6502a

It totally depends on what you use it for. Is the MB struggling to do what you ask of it?

3. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

MacBook is fine for you, even in Pro Apps (I am not so sure in Motion though). Add 2 Gigabytes and a 7200RPM Harddrive.

4. cookie1105 macrumors 6502

And you know this how?

OP, what apps do you generally use?

5. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Don't upgrade needlessly... as long as the computer does what you need just add more ram if you are getting the beach ball. The biggest limiting factor in the MB, currently, is the video card... so if you plan on dipping deavy into things like Apature, FCP, and other pro apps your speed will suffer ( but they will continue to run ).

The other thing that can be limiting is the BTO 200GB 4200 RPM disk.

6. bored911 thread starter macrumors 6502

bored911

word, firefox, photoshop. then i play around with lighter apps. Should i upgrade from 1gb to 2gb. I get the beach ball often enough to begin to annoy me.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You should see a big difference if you upgrade the RAM. I'm pretty sure the video card won't really have an effect in Photoshop, because it's mostly processor based, and the rest of the apps you use don't require it either. So upgrade the RAM, and if you want more screen space, get an external monitor.

8. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Oh Please! MacBook will run Pro Apps just fine (I am still not sure about Motion). Final Cut Studio depends on the CPU not GPU (except Motion).

9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't think it's worth the cost given that you already have a macbook. but if you're thinking in terms of portability alone, the macbook's footprint isn't that much smaller than that of a macbook pro. it's a little more than an inch wider and less than an inch deeper. comparing them side by side makes you realize how big the macbook is, and it makes you understand all the people here who dream for a 12" macbook pro.