MBP Palm Rest Accumulating Dirt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uptownnyc, Apr 2, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

I've been experiencing a problem with the palmrest of my 2011 unibody Macbook Pro and was wondering if anyone had advice on keeping it clean. On the left palm-rest I've noticed that there's subtle accumulation of dirt being transferred from my hand to the aluminum unibody. My hands are generally clean when using the laptop, but I'm sure there are times when there's some dirt that's coming off since I use the device 8-10 hours a day. Right now it's very tiny dark spots ... but I can imagine over time it may become more visible.

Does anyone have any advice on how to clean this without scratching the unibody? Just rubbing with water doesn't seem to be sufficient to clean the surface, but there's also no apparent texture to the small specks.

Any advice?

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

iKlear is a great product in my opinion but I always put on a Best Skins Ever palm rest guard. There are others, but I like the clear. I also use that because I wear a watch.

3. macrumors regular

pictures or it didnt happen

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

5. macrumors 68000

Mentholated spirits.

6. macrumors 6502

Rubbing alcohol

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

8. macrumors newbie

my friend had the same problem put to a worst degree. the oils from you skin are oxidizing the metal. He told me to put a stickers where you rest your hand

9. macrumors 68000

That would explain why the right edge of my MBP has several little pits that look like it's been scratched by something thin (even though I can't see how that would be the case). It's a little shame but oh we'll...

10. macrumors regular

thats not coming off XD

11. macrumors 68000

drewsof07

That isn't dirt, it is the anodized finish being corroded by the oils and chemicals in your skin. Unfortunately this is a well documented issue dating back to the powerbook :(

Here is a good example

12. macrumors regular

the macbook is allergic to you

13. macrumors 68020

TwelveSouth SurfacePad will hide it, but I agree with the others, looks normal for some users. Liken it to how some folks can wear silver jewelry with no issue yet others (like me) turn it almost instantly green/black. First thing I have to buy for mine is some kind of palm guard.

14. macrumors regular

As many has mentioned, this is permanent due to the sweat from your palms reacting with the unibody surface... there isn't much to do tbh...

I would recommend a moshi palm guard to just cover up the flaw and prevent anything worser.

I get this problem too, but only with the magic mouse. :confused:

15. thread starter macrumors 6502

Any idea if Apple would repair it under AppleCare, or is it normal wear & tear?