MBP performs crap for warcraft 3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benneh, Dec 29, 2006.

1. benneh macrumors member

My C2D 128Mb VRAM / 1Gb RAM MBP runs Warcraft 3 really laggy. I've set all my graphics details to low, and any resolution I run in its quite jerky...

My PC runs a lot smoother and the specs are P4 2Ghz, 32Mb GeForce2, with 512Mb Ram

Has anyone experienced this? or know why it is so?

I wasn't expecting a lot from the MBP, but for a game like Warcraft3, it should at least be quite smooth...

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. benneh thread starter macrumors member

Ah, that's probably why..

umm.. is rosetta something I buy or download?? sorry, I'm very new to macs :(

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, it's already there on your Mac, running virtually invisibly. Mind you, I'm not definitely saying that this is the problem. Did you check to see whether the application is Universal in the manner outlined in both of the articles I linked to?

5. benneh thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I checked the Info, and no, the "(Universal)" or "(PowerPC)" came up.. so I'm guessing its not built for Intel.

In that case then I'm more relaxed.. I thought I might've been sold a shoddy MBP...

Thanks very much!

6. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

It seems that when it comes to performance it varies from system to system. For me it runs perfectly on my Mac Pro.

7. Mac Player macrumors regular

I installed windows on my MBP just to play WC3

8. GraceMolloy macrumors regular

GraceMolloy

Hmm, I haven't tried Warcraft 3 yet, WoW looks amazing though.

9. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Have you updated warcraft thru battlenet yet?

10. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I've never had too much trouble running Warcraft on my MBP, but I guess if you're really having troubles, you could install it on the Windows side of things under Bootcamp. That should definitely help with the speed. :cool:

11. MaaseyRacer macrumors regular

I can run WC3 no problem on my 2.3GHz MBP. I think it is time for you to upgrade or get a new one.

12. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Warcraft 3 is better than WoW IMO. I prefer running a whole village and army as oppose to running one guy who spends all day doing lame missions like killing 10 pigs, scorpions, wolves whatever.

13. motoxpress macrumors 6502

Blizzard has indicated that they have no plans to deliver a UB version of WC3 so, I think your best bet is to use Bootcamp and WinXP.

-mx

14. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

What are you talking about? It works fine in intel macs, it has to be UB already or it would slow down horribly, I run it all the time full graphics no lag. It runs better in winXP (what doesn't?) but all you need to do is update warcraft 3 using battlenet.

15. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

The latest update to Warcraft 3 is not UB so it is running in Rosetta

16. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

You really think that a computer that is less than one year old is worth upgrading just to play a game? :rolleyes:

17. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

yeah i run WC3 natively on OSX and while its not that bad (certainly playable), its just not the same or as smooth as when im on my PC desktop. Ehh i'll just try it under Boot Camp

18. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I have the same MBP you have, and I run Warcraft 3 on all video settings at high. I play with no lag or delay, so something must be wrong with your laptop.

I know for a fact that Warcraft 3 will run at maximum speed at full resolution on a MBP C2D with 128 mb VRAM and 1 gb RAM.

19. cobravap macrumors regular

20. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I dont know what blizzard said or what, but I know that Frozen Throne cannot be run thru rosetta. I am not 100% sure of this, but I am quite sure as even word slows down ridiculously when run thru rosetta. A graphically demanding game would be IMPOSSIBLE to play using rosetta, I cannot imagine how it could even be possible. I think you need to update.

Another thing: the game has a slight glitch: mine didn't even used to boot until I deleted the "movies" folder or something from the games program files. That's worth a try as well, but will get rid of movies from the mission gameplay.

21. XP Defector macrumors 6502

Bootcamp is definitely worth and install if you want to play games on your MBP.

22. Mac Player macrumors regular

I have WC3 installed under boot camp and it runs fine.
    I just tested WC3 4 player custom map (against computer) and i played without lag. Tomorrow ill try to play on battle net with 100 FOood armies to see if it lags.

23. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Runs great on my 1.83 MBP and to the above poster I'm pretty sure we are talking about OSX.

24. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No. It is running via Rosetta. I have all the updates. There is no Universal/Intel version. This is simply an old game
    - almost half a decade old - and it doesn't need the graphics horsepower of the newer ones. It runs fine on both my MBP and my MB. And, yes, that's Frozen Throne - it shows up as WarCraft III under Activity Monitor.

WCIIIPPC.png

25. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

its a bug with the divx movie entrance

just update the divx drivers for intel and youll be fine