Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
The PB G4 has issues with the DVD drive so i would like to install it from the MBP via the Remote Install utility. I looked up the instructions here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2129

and also the utility is straight forward, the problem is that neither the Ethernet or Airport works. The G4 doesn't see any sources.
What am i missing ? Does PB G5 even supports remote install ?

ps: when i tried the Ethernet, i've them connected via cross-over cable.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
i even tried to clone 10.5.6 image to an external firewire drive with APM, but the PowerBook G4 still doesn't see the drive ?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Macs have built-in cross overs in the hardware so any cat5 ethernet cable will work.

Why not use Firewire and put your MBP in Target disc mode to use the optical drive?

You are not trying to use the MBP's install discs on your Powerbook are you? It won't work since it's hardware/machine specific. You need a retail version of Leopard in order to install on your Powerbook.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Macs have built-in cross overs in the hardware so any cat5 ethernet cable will work.

Why not use Firewire and put your MBP in Target disc mode to use the optical drive?

You are not trying to use the MBP's install discs on your Powerbook are you? It won't work since it's hardware/machine specific. You need a retail version of Leopard in order to install on your Powerbook.

No i was using full retail version DVD. But i figured out the issue of not booting from the external FW drive. there is a delay from power-on to bring power to the external devices, so by just restarting the system again with the ex-drive power on, i was able to boot from it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.