Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
i'm thinking of getting a macbook pro with the 200gb hard drive and i'm going to be using pro tools. if i'm using an external hard drive whenever i record, will it make a difference if the hard drive is slower?

I can't decide whether i should get a 160gb disk or a 200gb. I want the higher capacity, but not if it's going to hinder my recording drastically.

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
Flank said:
i'm thinking of getting a macbook pro with the 200gb hard drive and i'm going to be using pro tools. if i'm using an external hard drive whenever i record, will it make a difference if the hard drive is slower?

I can't decide whether i should get a 160gb disk or a 200gb. I want the higher capacity, but not if it's going to hinder my recording drastically.

I just got an external hard drive to run Pro Tools on my MBP. According to the folks at Digidesign, they recommend a firewire drive 7200 rpm, Oxford 11 chipset and a seek time of under 10ms.

That's exactly what I got, and it's been working great for me.

Flank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
In terms of the internal drive, however, does the speed matter very much if one is going to be recording to a 7200 rpm external hard disk anyway?

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
Flank said:
In terms of the internal drive, however, does the speed matter very much if one is going to be recording to a 7200 rpm external hard disk anyway?

No, the internal drive doesn't matter if you're recording straight to the external.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.