MBP questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xiaoyu04, Oct 29, 2006.

1. xiaoyu04 macrumors member

I know there are a ton of threads on this- but, I finally decided I would go for a mbp instead of a macbook so I can do a complete desktop replacement while maintaining portability. I plan to run a lot of VM's and doing some heavy photoshop/video editing work on this computer. My question is, between the lower end model mbp and the higher end mbp, is the 2.16ghz to 2.33ghz jump, 128mb additional memory and 1 gb additional ram worth the extra $500? also, is the 2gb in the 2.33ghz model on a single stick or two? And it seems like macmall is out of mbp's?

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I think its on two sticks. I am not sure if the speed jump is totally worth it, but you put it all together...the memory, the speed jump, and the video memory, I would find it worth it. But you know, its only worth it if you can afford it in the first place...;)

3. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

In reality... not really. 170mhz isnt all that much. The extra gig alone is worth $140 (I guess, I'm not upto date on US pricing.) so you can look at it that way. The extra 128 is usful only for games, otherwise not much else will make use of it.

Also, the Ram is 2x1GB on the 2.33 model.

for what it sounds like you will be doing, the more speed, ram, and video card memory, the better. It will benefit you more in the long run, if you plan to keep that laptop for a number of years. Don't go for something under what you think you need, like this ibook i bought in last november, cause once i started doing lots of stuff, it doesn't cut it and is frustrating, hence my macpro desktop so i don't have to use my laptop at home. oh and remember its like 200mhz x4 for the processor.

5. xiaoyu04 thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i was kind of confused by this one since macmall seemed to imply it was 2x 1gb

thanks for everyone's helpful response!

6. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

it is 2x 1Gb..... :confused: they're right.

7. xiaoyu04 thread starter macrumors member

weird, that guy said it was 1x2gb

8. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

With extra RAM, you have more video memory to share between multiple monitors... and other applications which require... video memory

9. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

True, 128 when used with a moniter makes its 64/64 where as 256 is 128/128 for shared moniters.

but he never mentioned he'd be doing that :D

10. nmamur macrumors member

the better videocard is pretty kool...i would say its a pretty good idea to go for the better one...i did

11. xiaoyu04 thread starter macrumors member

i actually did plan on getting a external hooked up, but i thought all the vram goes to the external? it only splits if i'm using both displays and doing a split desktop, right?

12. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

correct.

13. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

You mean he won't be using applications?

14. xiaoyu04 thread starter macrumors member

for covering the mbp, i was thinking invisible shield...Anyone have experiences with it? how easy it is to put on, etc? also, is the core 2 duo mbp the same as the core duo mbp in terms of dimension?