MBP RAM question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kerisimasi, Dec 13, 2006.

1. kerisimasi macrumors member

hey all - forgive me if this is a thread elsewhere, I did do a few searches and didn't come up with an answer. Please feel free to redirect my efforts.

Regardess, I upgraded from a CD macbook to C2D mbp and kept the RAM I purchased for the macbook. I was told it was compatible with the new mbps as it is the same speed, thus I installed it in the new computer. I ran memtest and everything seems to be ok...however recently I was told that if the RAM is not the same brand, there will be some problems. I don't know what brand the macbook came with, but mine was Patriot (from Newegg). Is this ok for my computer, or should I find out the brand and get a new stick.

Also, what is the best way to test the ram?? Is it memtest? thanks all - happy holidays

2. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

As long as the memory meets the specs it DOES NOT HAVE to be the same brand. If your new C2D recognizes the ram (Apple menu > About this Mac > Memory) you are set to go.

Enjoy your new machine - we love ours (with mixed brand memory) :D

3. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Sadly there is no real reliable way to test memory (since odds are the application doing the testing needs to load into memory), and there is always a little bit that you just can't test which might be the source of the problem.

I have had countless sticks that causes kernel panics when installed, which I then tested with memtest to try and figure out which stick is bad (they both will test out to be good) and then I end up just selling them off on eBay and buying new sticks. Strangely I never get negs from the buyers, either PeeCees are more tolerant or the user just figures that Windows crashes anyway :D

This happened so many times that nowadays I just buy good quality memory from the brand name makers. It is really not funny whenever it happens that it is just not worth the grief.