MBP reading SD Card and Ext Hard Drive space wrong

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jakerz, Apr 6, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

I noticed yesterday that my MBP is reading the space on my SD Card and my External Hard Drive wrong.

If I delete something off either the SDC or EHD, the space that should become available by doing that isn't made available.

For example... My 4GB SD Card has 600MB available, I deleted a 1GB movie that was on it but that 1GB of space is not being made available. When I try adding a file larger than the 600MB, I get a pop up that says the require space is not available.

I reformatted the drives thinking that was the problem but it obviously wasn't because it didn't fix it. Reformatting the drives are the only way to get the space back.

Help...

2. macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

You are deleting the item from trash. Not just moving it to the trash?

3. thread starter macrumors regular

I 'command + delete' it from the SD Card or EHD but the deleted file doesn't appear in my Trash.

4. macrumors 6502a

It should and the trash would need to be emptied before the space shows up as free.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

It disappears from the SD Card Finder window but it doesn't go to the Trash.

6. macrumors 6502a

And if you empty the trash anyway? It might be stored in /Volumes/SDCARD/.Trash/ but should show up in the main trash too.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't think about that. I'll try it. Thanks :)